Wednesday, June 23, 2021

True Freedom

 

True Freedom

1 Corinthians 6: 12 Someone will say, “I am allowed to do anything.” Yes; but not everything is good for you. I could say that I am allowed to do anything, but I am not going to let anything make me its slave. 13 Someone else will say, “Food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food.” Yes; but God will put an end to both. The body is not to be used for sexual immorality, but to serve the Lord; and the Lord provides for the body. 14 God raised the Lord from death, and he will also raise us by his power.

 

============

 

After a string of disturbing news, I felt I had the right to “blow off some steam.” “Come with us to the convention” a few “friends” said. When we arrived, I was amazed. The streets were full of prostitutes, which excited the group I was with even more. I couldn’t do it, even though I was feeling low.

 

There have been times when I turned to sex as the wrong answer to my dilemma.

There have been times when I thought sex would fix the current problems.

There have been times when I fooled myself into thinking sex could bring enough gratification to overcome that trial.

 

Arguments over “what is allowed to do with the body?” are addressed by Paul. He explains that everything is allowed, but not everything is good for you. He talks about addictions, food and sex. These things can enslave a person, taking their minds off of their true purpose.

 

GOD made me for HIS purpose, not mine.

GOD takes care of my wants and needs.

GOD is the only path to true freedom, because it is HIM who provides.

 

“What about this life?” one may ask when it comes to GOD. I mean, we speak about the afterlife and eternal life, but what about the here and now? GOD cares about that too. HE “provides for the body” now and forever more.

 

GOD cares about me and HE cares about my neighbor. HE loves us all and wants me to be part of HIS love. HE made me for HIS purpose and wants me to focus on that. HE provides true freedom that addictions cannot. I am grateful GOD has purpose for me. My body is not “mine” but HIS.

 

Do you think your body is yours to do as you see fit?

Have you been enslaved by food, sex or another addiction?

Will you stop looking at temporary relief and allow GOD to truly set you free so you can live a life of abundance and purpose that only GOD has for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment