Monday, June 21, 2021

Litigious

Litigious

1 Corinthians 6: If any of you have a dispute with another Christian, how dare you go before heathen judges instead of letting God's people settle the matter? Don't you know that God's people will judge the world? Well, then, if you are to judge the world, aren't you capable of judging small matters? Do you not know that we shall judge the angels? How much more, then, the things of this life! If such matters come up, are you going to take them to be settled by people who have no standing in the church? Shame on you! Surely there is at least one wise person in your fellowship who can settle a dispute between fellow Christians. Instead, one Christian goes to court against another and lets unbelievers judge the case!

 

============

 

Wanting to show who was in charge, I met with the legal team to discuss a dispute “I” had with another company. Since “they” were acting like jerks, “I” wanted to change the contract to add a few fines. “You can’t do that” the legal team advised. I was furious.

 

  • There have been times when I wanted to go to court to get “my” way.
  • There have been times when I wanted to show who really had the “power.”
  • There have been times when I wanted to sue a group for a simple matter.

 

Paul attempts to grow this group of believers without saying the words “Just grow up!” They were taking disputes to court and letting unbelievers judge the case. Paul explains that those who believe in JESUS will one day judge the world, the evil spirits who tempted us and the one who devoured us.

 

  • GOD wants me to seek peace with those who believe in JESUS.
  • GOD wants me to use HIS wisdom in settling disagreements.
  • GOD wants me to take peace before HIS throne so I will not act like Satan who brings accusations against me every step of the way.

 

Litigiousness also means acting combative, contentious, disputatious, disputative and argumentative. This disruptive behavior destroys the harmony GOD seeks. It also shows just how much of a child I have been when seeking “my” way and throwing a legal tantrum.

 

This behavior shows up in other areas of my life. When I complain about the way other people do things or get mad at GOD while trying to explain to HIM how “good” I have been. GOD wants me to seek HIS peace with everyone and leave the vengeance to HIM. I am grateful for HIS grace that is truly sufficient.

 

  • Are you mad at someone to the point of trying to sue?
  • Are you seeking advice from those who do not believe in JESUS?
  • Will you stop trying to build “your” case and examine your heart to see if you are acting with hatred or love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment