Friday, November 5, 2021

Criticism Reduction

Criticism Reduction

2 Corinthians 2: So I made up my mind not to come to you again to make you sad. For if I were to make you sad, who would be left to cheer me up? Only the very persons I had made sad. That is why I wrote that letter to you—I did not want to come to you and be made sad by the very people who should make me glad. For I am convinced that when I am happy, then all of you are happy too. I wrote you with a greatly troubled and distressed heart and with many tears; my purpose was not to make you sad, but to make you realize how much I love you all.

 

============

 

“Who did this?” I asked my family in my usual investigative tone. I wanted a confession, thinking this will “grow the culprit up.” Little did I know, I was creating an atmosphere of secrets.

 

  • I was being too critical.
  • I had not created an atmosphere where improvement is different for each person.
  • I was caught up in the fast pace of the world and lost patience.

 

Paul chose to back off from being critical. He knew that something was not quite right with how the people of Corinth were following JESUS. But he had been corrected by GOD himself and did not want others to suffer as he did. Instead, he expressed his love for them.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to see HIS grace for my sins.
  • GOD wants me to turn my hurt into grace for others.
  • GOD wants me to seek grace as a gift that is freely given.

 

Being critical hurts. I mean, when I see something “wrong” I may want it “fixed.” But should “I” be the one fixing it? Not all the time. There are times when it is best for me to back off the situation and ask GOD to intervene.

 

The goal is to keep peace and harmony. This does not mean I should never speak up, but the ratio of speaking up versus letting it go needs to lean towards “letting it go.” If there is a common understanding, then certain words can be misused without me putting a boxing glove in another person’s face. We need each other. I am glad GOD is not critical of my sins.

 

Challenge

  • What is the ultimate purpose of the writer?
  • Do you see GOD’s grace in the writer’s words?
  • How can you reduce your criticism of others in your daily walk?
  • What benefits will you receive by creating an atmosphere where people can cheer you along with CHRIST as their motive?

No comments:

Post a Comment