Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Promises Kept

Promises Kept

2 Corinthians 1: 15 I was so sure of all this that I made plans at first to visit you, in order that you might be blessed twice. 16 For I planned to visit you on my way to Macedonia and again on my way back, in order to get help from you for my trip to Judea. 17 In planning this, did I appear fickle? When I make my plans, do I make them from selfish motives, ready to say “Yes, yes” and “No, no” at the same time? 18 As surely as God speaks the truth, my promise to you was not a “Yes” and a “No.” 19 For Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was preached among you by Silas, Timothy, and myself, is not one who is “Yes” and “No.” On the contrary, he is God's “Yes”; 20 for it is he who is the “Yes” to all of God's promises. This is why through Jesus Christ our “Amen” is said to the glory of God.

 

============

 

“I will call you” and “I will pray for you” and “I will be there on time” are words I threw around with well-meaning intent. But sometimes, life got in the way of me keeping those words. My reliability was not quite where it needed to be.

 

  • I was saying “Yes” and “No” at the same time.
  • I was not dependable with something valuable and important.
  • I was fickle.

 

Paul was so sure that the people he wrote to had an amazing relationship with JESUS, that he planned to visit them twice. Once on his way to Macedonia and again on the way back. He then explains the importance of keeping promises. He explains that JESUS “is” the one and only “Yes” to all of GOD’s promises.

 

My Observations

  • GOD has already kept HIS promises HE made for me.
  • GOD gave me eternal life and has solidified it with a promise through JESUS CHRIST.
  • GOD said “Yes” to me by giving me HIS SON as a special gift, just for me.

 

Making plans is only as good as the ability to keep the plan. I mean, I can say “I plan to” all day long, BUY GOD is the only one who can say “I will” and mean it. Nothing can stop GOD’s plan and the promises HE made to all humans has already been kept.

 

HE promised to save humanity and HE already did this. There is nothing left for HIM to do. We can focus our attention on praising HIM, even when we cannot keep our small promises. I am grateful GOD is faithful and has kept ALL of HIS promises for me.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer appear sensitive about keeping promises?
  • How do you feel when someone does not keep their promise to you?
  • Can you praise GOD for always keeping HIS promises and for HIS relationship with you that is loving and pursuing towards you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment