Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Fixed Attention

Fixed Attention

2 Corinthians 4: 16 For this reason we never become discouraged. Even though our physical being is gradually decaying, yet our spiritual being is renewed day after day. 17 And this small and temporary trouble we suffer will bring us a tremendous and eternal glory, much greater than the trouble. 18 For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts forever.

 

============

 

Short pants were in and it was hot! Notice I didn’t say shorts. I wore them outside as we played. Unfortunately, my fashion choice gave mosquitos more opportunities for their evening snack.

 

With tens of bites on each leg, I sat inside miserable. The itching was overwhelming. Dinner didn’t seem to taste good because of my distraction. Sitting was uncomfortable and we had another six days to be there. “Don’t think about them” someone said. All I could think about were the bites.

 

  • Mosquito bites seem small but somehow draw my attention.
  • When I am uncomfortable, I only want to see a path to comfort.
  • My focus on scratching the problem made the healing process extended.

 

Because JESUS died and was raised from the dead, we can have eternal life. Paul says “for this reason we never become discouraged.” He was the poster child of going through trouble. His troubles were very large in comparison to mosquito bites, yet he provides some great advice for facing large and small troubles.

 

My Observations

  • Faith is something GOD loves for me to focus on.
  • Joy is a gift GOD loves to give me daily.
  • Eternal rewards are the true prizes GOD wants me to seek.

 

The unseen things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control are what GOD wants me to have in abundance. This fruit is the best meal to place my attention on.

 

Whenever life becomes challenging, GOD wants me to seek the fruit of the Spirit, so I can endure and persevere. I am glad GOD loves the unseen fruit to focus my attention on.

 

Challenge

  • Have you ever felt more rested when you were not focused on the problem?
  • What does the writer say about never becoming discouraged?
  • What things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtuous or praiseworthy can you focus on today?

No comments:

Post a Comment