Monday, November 1, 2021

Reliance

 

Reliance

2 Corinthians 1: We want to remind you, friends, of the trouble we had in the province of Asia. The burdens laid upon us were so great and so heavy that we gave up all hope of staying alive. We felt that the death sentence had been passed on us. But this happened so that we should rely, not on ourselves, but only on God, who raises the dead. 10 From such terrible dangers of death he saved us, and will save us; and we have placed our hope in him that he will save us again, 11 as you help us by means of your prayers for us. So it will be that the many prayers for us will be answered, and God will bless us; and many will raise their voices to him in thanksgiving for us.

 

============

 

Huge tractor trailer trucks and speeding cars were the norm on this stretch of road. Our car was relatively new and we wanted to take it on a road trip. It was raining so I slowed down to just a little over the speed limit. I hit a large puddle and lost control of the car for a moment. We spun around in an almost complete circle, leaving us in perpendicular, blocking all lanes. No one hit us and we did not hit anything.

 

  • This was nothing short of a miracle that we are still alive.
  • When the danger hit, it seemed like there was nothing I could do but pray “Help LORD!”
  • This deliverance has helped me remember where to put my reliance years after the incident.

 

Paul gives some startling news about the near death situations that happened on their trip. They had given up hope, BUT GOD saved them and showed HIS ability to protect when there seemed to be no way out.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to rely on HIS power, not mine.
  • GOD wants me to depend on HIS plan not mine.
  • GOD wants me to wait on HIS time, HIS way and HIS will.

 

Relying on my skills or someone else’s is futile. I mean, whatever a human can do or say is useless compared to what GOD can and will do. All situations, no matter how bleak, must go before HIM. HE knows when death asks to have me and so far the answer has been “No!”

 

HE gives me another chance to speak about JESUS to at least one more person. HE also provides me with many people, who have face danger, to pray for me and I for them. I am glad HE listens to prayers of thanksgiving.

 

Challenge

  • Do you feel the writers excitement for being alive?
  • Who does the writer give credit to?
  • Will you reduce your reliance on yourself and others today; and increase your reliance on GOD, who raises the dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment