Friday, October 29, 2021

Share in the Help

Share in the Help

1 Corinthians 17: Let us give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the merciful Father, the God from whom all help comes! He helps us in all our troubles, so that we are able to help others who have all kinds of troubles, using the same help that we ourselves have received from God. Just as we have a share in Christ's many sufferings, so also through Christ we share in God's great help. If we suffer, it is for your help and salvation; if we are helped, then you too are helped and given the strength to endure with patience the same sufferings that we also endure. So our hope in you is never shaken; we know that just as you share in our sufferings, you also share in the help we receive.

 

============

 

Being out of work made me worry about everything. I had never been out of work before and my total dependence was on “my” salary and self-esteem was tied into “my” title. I sat in a group of out of work people at a church.

 

“Help other people” was the message. “Wait! I need help” I thought to myself. I volunteered at a food pantry and helped others get jobs. I found peace that didn’t make sense.

 

  • I had lost sight of other people suffering.
  • I had fallen into the trap of working so hard that I could not see people who needed help.
  • I had forgotten that I had nothing, at one point, and was given much.

 

Paul reminds everyone that GOD the FATHER provides the help. This is a different perspective than GOD the Punisher. Paul then explains that since we get help from the FATHER, we are supposed to help others. But when we suffer, others should help us.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to see other people in need, even when I am in need.
  • GOD wants me to understand that HE provides all help that I receive and give.
  • GOD wants me to give thanks to HIM for any help I have received by helping someone else and being glad about it.

 

GOD sees me in good times and bad. HE knows when my heart is in anguish and when it is elated. HE knows when to send me to someone or when I need help from others.

 

The FATHER rarely gets credit for wanting to help. I mean, sometimes I think that if I broke HIS rules, HE is ready to hit me on the head with a supernatural stick. The FATHER loves. I am grateful to receive HIS help.

 

Challenge

  • What do you notice about GOD the FATHER?
  • Do you sometimes think you are being punished more than you are being loved?
  • Can you help someone in the middle of your pain?
  • Wil you share where help comes from by receiving help or giving it and praying for those who suffer in the same way you are suffering today?

No comments:

Post a Comment