Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Courage to Use Cheer

 Courage to Use Cheer

1 Corinthians 16: 13 Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be brave, be strong. 14 Do all your work in love.

 

15 You know about Stephanas and his family; they are the first Christian converts in Achaia and have given themselves to the service of God's people. I beg you, my friends, 16 to follow the leadership of such people as these, and of anyone else who works and serves with them.

 

17 I am happy about the coming of Stephanas, Fortunatus, and Achaicus; they have made up for your absence 18 and have cheered me up, just as they cheered you up. Such men as these deserve notice.

 

============

 

“Knock, knock” was the surprising opening greeting upon meeting this person. I indulged with “Who’s there?” He replied “Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?” I did smile. He was genuine and could see the stoic look on my face needed some cheer from my distractions in life.

 

  • I needed a break from thinking of problems.
  • I needed a break from trying to have my problems fixed.
  • I needed a break from trying to figure out if GOD is punishing or pursuing.

 

Paul gives some great advice. “Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be brave be strong.” Then he gives three examples who dedicated their lives to the service of our LORD, JESUS. They had a gift of spreading cheer to those who were sad, depressed, worried and scared. They were brave enough to smile.

 

My Observations

  • Life needs some cheer and laughter that comes from GOD.
  • Sometimes GOD wants me to laugh with people instead of always crying with them or fixing them.
  • Cheer seems to be missing from life and GOD wants me to add more of it to help people see HIM.

 

“Laughter is the best medicine” is an old adage many people follow. I do believe a smile can heal wounds that I am not aware of. Bringing cheer instead of bad news is sometimes necessary because of its rarity. I am glad GOD provides people who have the gift of cheer.

 

Challenge

  • Do you notice the writer gives some great advice and then gives examples of those who follow this well?
  • What does using cheer have to do with being alert, standing firm, being brave, being strong or working in love?
  • Will you add a little cheer to someone who needs it today?

No comments:

Post a Comment