Friday, October 15, 2021

Playing Dress Up

Playing Dress Up

1 Corinthians 15: 45 For the scripture says, “The first man, Adam, was created a living being”; but the last Adam is the life-giving Spirit. 46 It is not the spiritual that comes first, but the physical, and then the spiritual. 47 The first Adam, made of earth, came from the earth; the second Adam came from heaven. 48 Those who belong to the earth are like the one who was made of earth; those who are of heaven are like the one who came from heaven. 49 Just as we wear the likeness of the man made of earth, so we will wear the likeness of the Man from heaven.

 

50 What I mean, friends, is that what is made of flesh and blood cannot share in God's Kingdom, and what is mortal cannot possess immortality.

 

============

 

“Clean the basement” was the directive given to us. My siblings and I started off doing the work, but the stuff down there was interesting. We found games and toys we hadn’t played with in a while. Then we found old clothes. I put on my father’s shoes, shirt and some pants and schlepped around, talking in the deepest 5 or 6 year old voice.

 

  • The big shoes, that easily fell off my feet, reminds me of responsibility I could not keep.
  • The big pants, that I clutched onto with my hands,  reminds me of security I tried to place on things.
  • The big shirt, that drooped over my frail frame, reminds me of circumstances I could not control.

 

Paul continues to speak about the physical body. We wear it for a while, but one day we will wear the likeness of “The Man from heaven.” He provides encouragement that we can play dress up while on this earth.

 

My Observations

  • JESUS wants me to know HE took care of the hard part when HE saved me from death.
  • JESUS wants me to be excited about HIS resurrection.
  • JESUS wants me to understand that HIS shoes are too big to be filled by my actions, but HE likes when I play dress up, mimicking HIS ways.

 

While I cannot die to save someone from eternal death, I can play dress up and show others a small portion of what JESUS did. I mean, HE prayed for people, wept with them and cared for everyone HE met. HE does not mind when I do the same.

 

GOD knows I am a child and sometimes the shoes my fall off or the pants I’m clutching onto may trip me up or the circumstances may roll off my small shoulders. BUT GOD loves the fact that I am playing dress up , trying to be like HIM. I am glad I cannot be GOD and equally glad HE doesn’t need me to. I am also grateful I can point people to JESUS by loving others as HE did.

 

Challenge

  • What does “wearing the likeness” of JESUS make you think of?
  • What things did JESUS do that you can mimic?
  • Can you enjoy life again by playing dress up for JESUS, being free for just a little while today?

No comments:

Post a Comment