Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Grace Effect

The Grace Effect

1 Corinthians 15: Last of all he appeared also to me—even though I am like someone whose birth was abnormal. For I am the least of all the apostles—I do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted God's church. 10 But by God's grace I am what I am, and the grace that he gave me was not without effect. On the contrary, I have worked harder than any of the other apostles, although it was not really my own doing, but God's grace working with me. 11 So then, whether it came from me or from them, this is what we all preach, and this is what you believe.

 

============

 

“I’m saved for eternity!” is the Good News I accepted at an early age. This came with a calling to tell other people about JESUS. But that did not stop me from wanting to sin. I wanted to fit in with everyone else, so I stopped being the “goody, goody” person and tried what “everyone else” was doing. It seemed like my sin would be caught and theirs wouldn’t. In fact, it seemed like I would get singled out and they would go free.

 

  • I had a misconception of grace.
  • I thought grace meant I was forgiven for my sins and I did not have to have consequence.
  • I was alright with just getting into heaven, so I figured I would live it up here and then I would be in heaven and I could live it up there.

 

JESUS met Paul on the road to Damascus. Paul was headed to murder more followers of JESUS. HE called Paul into ministry by blinding him. Paul had to suffer to tell people about JESUS. He was beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, bitten by a snake and left to die. But GOD’s grace kept him working harder than the other Apostles.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to take my sin seriously.
  • GOD wants a real relationship with me and HE does not like sin.
  • GOD wants me to surrender my life to HIM and to confess my sin to HIM and accept the consequence of my sin.

 

Being a child of GOD is wonderful, but it ain’t easy. Yes I said “ain’t.” I mean, it seems like other people can act like scoundrels and do as they please while I try to do the right thing and face more suffering. To top it off, when I sin, it seems like GOD comes after me with a stick. Well, at least sometimes.

 

GOD’s grace extends into this life. The effect of HIS grace wipes away my eternal consequence, but let’s face it… If I did something harmful to another person, GOD will allow the consequence to sprout up from the seeds of sin I planted. Grace is still there, I just have to understand I am at GOD’s mercy which diminishes getting “my” way.

 

Challenge

  • What new observation about grace do you see in what is written?
  • What do you notice about being humble in this apostle’s words?
  • What misconceptions, if any, do you have about GOD’s grace?
  • Do you think sin can keep you blinded so you will not grow to have a true relationship with JESUS?

No comments:

Post a Comment