Friday, October 1, 2021

Women Leaders Needed

Women Leaders Needed

1 Corinthians 14: 33 because God does not want us to be in disorder but in harmony and peace.

As in all the churches of God's people, 34 the women should keep quiet in the meetings. They are not allowed to speak; as the Jewish Law says, they must not be in charge. 35 If they want to find out about something, they should ask their husbands at home. It is a disgraceful thing for a woman to speak in a church meeting.

 

36 Or could it be that the word of God came from you? Or are you the only ones to whom it came? 37 If anyone supposes he is God's messenger or has a spiritual gift, he must realize that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. 38 But if he does not pay attention to this, pay no attention to him.

 

39 So then, my friends, set your heart on proclaiming God's message, but do not forbid the speaking in strange tongues. 40 Everything must be done in a proper and orderly way.

 

============

 

Ugh! Another tough message from Paul! When I first glanced at the message I dreaded the thought of addressing the statement because I was taking it out of context. I mean, I can only imagine my wife dreading hearing any words that would place her in an unheard state. We are working through hearing each other to this day, as all marriages should. But Paul raises a doozie!

 

  • At first glance it looks like women are not valued.
  • At first glance it looks like women can never say a word.
  • At first glance it looks like women would cause disgrace.

 

My Observations

Again, I have to return to the curse of GOD when Adam took down all humans in Genesis 3. GOD made a hierarchy that showed sin caused disharmony between HIM and HIS creation. GOD also added pain and struggle in this curse. Nothing exciting happens in a curse. But what does the curse have to do with women speaking in church gatherings?

 

I wish I had the letter or letters written to Paul. I mean, Paul’s reference seems to be focused on married women, not all women. He seemed to be addressing an issue written to him versus bashing women. I don’t know is my answer. Here is what I believe.

 

  • I believe GOD made man and woman to live in harmony.
  • I believe GOD wants man and woman to have peace.
  • I believe GOD wants HIS message proclaimed by every human, man and woman.

 

In this chapter, being heard “is” the problem. Not everyone can rush the stage with a message and not everyone can speak in strange tongues without full understanding. All must have the desire to spread GOD’s message of love and sometimes be silent and use restraint as the example.

 

Women leaders are needed more and more as men have not brought the harmony and peace GOD is seeking. Women who can proclaim GOD’s message while bringing in harmony and peace are desperately needed these days. Both my grandmothers and my mother, mother-in-law, wife, sister, sisters-in-law, aunts, cousins and daughter have been and should be icons of harmony and peace pertaining to proclaiming GOD’s message. I have learned a lot from them as do many.

 

Challenge

  • What are your observations about harmony and peace in this chapter, not just the passage?
  • What do you think about women speaking and leading in the gathering of people?
  • What suggestions do you have for seeking the “harmony and peace” GOD is looking for?

No comments:

Post a Comment