Monday, December 20, 2021

Wealthy

Wealthy

2 Corinthians 8: It was more than we could have hoped for! First they gave themselves to the Lord; and then, by God's will they gave themselves to us as well. So we urged Titus, who began this work, to continue it and help you complete this special service of love. You are so rich in all you have: in faith, speech, and knowledge, in your eagerness to help and in your love for us. And so we want you to be generous also in this service of love.

 

============

 

“Want to play?” was the question posed to me. “Play what?” was my response. We were outside and had no games, money or toys. We looked around and found some popsicle sticks. A neighbor was washing his car, causing a stream near the curb in which we raced our sticks. We laughed, talked and played.

 

Later in life I accumulated money. I had no time for talking or playing because I was working long hours. I worried about bills, vacations, houses, cars, and a long list material possessions.

 

  • Somewhere I had lost focus on what “wealth” was.
  • I thought having no money was the problem.
  • I believed that having a lot of money would reduce my problems.

 

Paul writes about how “rich” the people were, but his list is strange. He talked about a portfolio most people would scoff at. He mentioned faith, speech, knowledge and eagerness to help.

 

My Observations

  • My love of money is the root of all kinds of evil in me.
  • GOD wants me to be wealthy in faith, speech about JESUS, curiosity to know HIM and eagerness to help others seek HIM.
  • GOD wants me to value serving others who follow HIM, especially those who are persecuted because of HIM.

 

Wealth is a term thrown around as something to acquire. But if the wealth causes division, arguments, pain or mistrust, then what good is having a lot of it? GOD wants me wealthy on the inside by accepting the HOLY SPIRIT.

 

HIS leading shows me when I am being greedy, overly self-protective and a slave to the god of sustenance. Generosity is felt by those who believe in CHRIST. I am grateful for the many who have poured out their service of love on me.

 

Challenge

  • What riches does the writer list?
  • Does comparing yourself to others make you, or them feel bad?
  • How wealthy in faith, speech about JESUS and knowledge of GOD do you feel?
  • Will you reconsider what true wealth is by seeking what GOD wants you to and surrendering anything that blinds you from HIS rewards today?

No comments:

Post a Comment