Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Escalation

Escalation

2 Corinthians 8: 20 We are being careful not to stir up any complaints about the way we handle this generous gift. 21 Our purpose is to do what is right, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of others.

 

============

 

“I’m going to tell!” was my go to set of words. This meant I could not handle the situation and I was going to escalate this to someone who could. I couldn’t fight, but I could tattle on someone. This particular day I tattled and the adult responded, “You are in trouble too.”

 

  • I didn’t realize my complaint was also a problem.
  • I was not careful about raising up a complaint to a higher authority.
  • I could only see a path to getting “that” person in trouble and did not realize I was in trouble too.

 

Paul speaks about being very careful not to stir up complaints. But who would the people complain to? He knew that his actions needed to be above the level because GOD would see what he did and validate the complaint if it were true.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to be very careful about complaining about other people.
  • GOD wants me to know HE sees and hears every deed that is done and every word spoken.
  • GOD wants me to tame my tongue to speak as few complaints as possible and exchange them for praise.

 

Thinking about the complaints I have said about other people over the years is embarrassing. I mean, if I were to escalate all my complaints to GOD and “that” person would die an eternal death because of my complaint, would I really complain? No. Unfortunately, I do not take complaints seriously enough.

 

I think I can whisper a complaint to a friend and think GOD did not hear it. Satan uses complaints to make his case against each human in an attempt to steal them from GOD’s love. He can’t do it by himself, so if he can use my complaint to help him out, he would gladly do so. I am grateful GOD gives me praise as a weapon to fight my complaining tongue.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writer is careful about not stirring up complaints?
  • Where do you think complaints land?
  • What does it look like to do “right” in the sight of the LORD in your life?
  • Will you spit out your bitterness and trade your complaint in for an advocating prayer on the behalf of “that” person today?

 

Dear LORD, we apologize for raising petty complaints up to YOUR throne through the ears of other people. Please forgive us of our complaints. amen

No comments:

Post a Comment