Friday, December 10, 2021

Repairing Self-Destruction

2 Corinthians 7:1 All these promises are made to us, my dear friends. So then, let us purify ourselves from everything that makes body or soul unclean, and let us be completely holy by living in awe of God.

 

============

 

Feeling like a failure, I needed some “fun.” With a mountain of debt, a broken down car, kicked out of school again and being dumped, I wanted to feel good for a moment. I went to a convention and there were wild parties everywhere. But for some reason, I could not get into it this particular time.

 

  • I thought I could relieve myself if I did some things that I could hide.
  • I felt like I was already low, so sinning wouldn’t make me any lower.
  • I wondered if there was an alternative to the self-destructive path I was on.

 

Paul speaks softly regarding purity. He doesn’t rant or yell, rather tries to convince everyone that JESUS made promises that were everlasting. These eternal promises should be recognized, but sin blinds us to that well deserved recognition. Paul give a better way of looking at purity. Be in awe of GOD.

 

My Observations

  • JESUS did an amazing thing by volunteering to die and be raised from the dead, just for me.
  • GOD’s mercy is amazing because HE sees the sin I hold onto tightly and still forgives me.
  • The HOLY SPIRIT amazingly lives in my body, seeing every thought and action and pleads on my behalf for forgiveness.

 

“Stop sinning” is easy to say when everything is going right. I mean, when the world seems to be falling apart, sin seems to knock on the door of my heart with its grimy hands at my most vulnerable time. BUT GOD sees all and loves me when I’m low.

 

HE understands every situation and cleanses me of all unrighteousness when I ask. But what if I ask and sin again? HE forgives me and cleanses me over and over and over and over and over again. He fills me with another chance each day and gives me a better path to walk on. I am in awe that GOD’s grace “is” sufficient.

 

Challenge

  • Does the writer limit the boundaries of purity?
  • Is there any difference between using slanderous words and sexual sin?
  • What do you notice about the individual walk implied in this passage?
  • Will you remain in awe of GOD’s forgiveness and allow HIM to cleanses you of all unrighteousness today and again tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment