Monday, December 27, 2021

Eagerness

Eagerness

2 Corinthians 8: 16 How we thank God for making Titus as eager as we are to help you! 17 Not only did he welcome our request; he was so eager to help that of his own free will he decided to go to you. 18 With him we are sending the brother who is highly respected in all the churches for his work in preaching the gospel. 19 And besides that, he has been chosen and appointed by the churches to travel with us as we carry out this service of love for the sake of the Lord's glory and in order to show that we want to help.

 

============

 

“Bring the groceries in from the car” was the directive. It was raining and cold outside and I was cozy and warm inside. I reluctantly obeyed. One of the bags tore, extending my discomfort.

 

On another day in another household a question was asked. “Would you like to go bowling with us?” “Yes!” was my enthusiastic reply. “Okay, but first unload the trunk to make room for the bowling balls.” I was eager to help even though it was raining and cold.

 

  • I could not see the blessing of simply being fed, housed and clothed.
  • I did not like being uncomfortable, so helping needed to be convenient.
  • I could not see the purpose of helping unless I got something out of it.

 

Paul writes about eagerness to help. He explain about a certain type of eagerness that comes only from the HOLY SPIRIT inside those who believe in JESUS as their Savior. This eagerness was to carry out HIS service of love to many others.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to be willing to serve others.
  • GOD wants me to be sent.
  • GOD wants me to accept the eagerness available to me to preach the Gospel of JESUS.

 

Eagerness to serve GOD is different. I mean, the “what’s in it for me?” turns into “What’s in it for GOD?” When it is cold and rainy and GOD says go and serve, HE loves when I am eager to be obedient. Unfortunately, I like the comfort and coziness of staying out of the rain and cold, so I sometimes act disobedient.

 

GOD understands. The great thing about HIS love is HE keeps coming after me, giving me another chance to get out of my comfort zone and seek to serve others. I am grateful HE is the beginning of eagerness and provides purpose for my life.

 

Challenge

  • Can you feel the writer’s excitement to serve?
  • Have you ever seen someone excited to serve you?
  • Has there ever been a contest, job or competition in which you were eager to work hard so you could get something out of it?
  • Will you allow the HOLY SPIRIT fill you up with overflowing love for others so you can be eager to serve on your own free will today?

No comments:

Post a Comment