Friday, December 17, 2021

Self-Protection

Self-Protection

2 Corinthians 8: Our friends, we want you to know what God's grace has accomplished in the churches in Macedonia. They have been severely tested by the troubles they went through; but their joy was so great that they were extremely generous in their giving, even though they are very poor. I can assure you that they gave as much as they could, and even more than they could. Of their own free will they begged us and pleaded for the privilege of having a part in helping God's people in Judea.

 

============

 

Getting off the train, I proceeded on the shortest route to work. I was met with a number of people asking for money. I reached in my pocket and gave what I could, but I needed to eat lunch so I held some back. This went on for a few days. I figured out a solution. I would take a longer route to avoid the usual people asking for money.

 

  • I was concerned about “my” money.
  • I was concerned about “my” body being fed.
  • I was concerned about “my” time, resources and safety.

 

Paul is amazed at the generosity of a group of people in a certain area. Though they were poor, they were generous. Their generosity could not be stopped by their troubles. In fact, they gave more during their troubles, showing their joy.

 

My Observations

  • GOD wants me to see beyond my troubles and be joyous.
  • GOD wants me to participate in helping HIS people.
  • GOD wants me to see that helping those who speak about CHRIST is a privilege.

 

Looking at situations from a financial perspective seems hopeless at times. I mean, it sometimes feels like the amounts I have or are getting are never quite enough. This makes me want to protect a little by stashing some away for “myself.”  Or “my” family. BUT GOD sees something different.

 

HE sees when I use self-protection as an excuse to not serve those who HE desperately wants me to serve. HE understands when I am blinded, but would prefer that I seek the privilege of serving to being people to CHRIST. I am grateful for those who have been generous to me to help me serve GOD’s people.

 

Challenge

  • How does the writer feel about the givers in this passage?
  • What do you notice about those who gave during their troubles?
  • Have you ever just wanted a moment of peace so you protected yourself from giving your time, talent or treasures?
  • Will you seek the privilege of serving GOD’s people in spite of your circumstances today?

No comments:

Post a Comment