Friday, June 30, 2023

Playing with Shadows

Playing with Shadows

Hebrews 8: Every high priest is appointed to present offerings and animal sacrifices to God, and so our High Priest must also have something to offer. If he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all, since there are priests who offer the gifts required by the Jewish Law. The work they do as priests is really only a copy and a shadow of what is in heaven. It is the same as it was with Moses. When he was about to build the Sacred Tent, God told him, “Be sure to make everything according to the pattern you were shown on the mountain.” But now, Jesus has been given priestly work which is superior to theirs, just as the covenant which he arranged between God and his people is a better one, because it is based on promises of better things.

 

============

 

Bored waiting on whatever my parents were doing, I looked around and could not find anything to play with. The sun was shining, so when I raised my hands I noticed the shadow on the floor did the same thing. I decided to play with that. I lifted my foot and the shadow responded. Soon I was making all kinds of things happen with the shadow. But when I got home, I was able to play with real people. It was so much better!

 

  • I played with my shadow, but it could not do what a real person could do.
  • I was able to make the shadow do what I wanted, but it could not do what I needed.
  • I pretended the shadow was enough, but when reality came I felt better.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, compares the activity of human high priests to that of JESUS, the true High Priest. He says that what they do to atone for sins is only a “shadow” of the real thing. What Moses was told to do was only a pattern of the real thing.

 

My Observations:

  • JESUS is superior to anything I could ever do.
  • JESUS is above any “good” act I could ever try.
  • JESUS is where I can place all my trust because humans can fall.

 

Pastors, priests and preachers are nice to have, but are full of flaws and sometimes contradictions. I mean, it does not matter who is preaching, there is a part of him or her that is made up of sin. BUT JESUS has no sin. HE can speak worlds into existence because HE has no flaws.

 

JESUS is the “real deal!” What I do for HIM and what others do and say about HIM are only a shadow of the real thing. Shadows are weak and powerless, but they exists. My actions are weak and powerless, but they exist. GOD sees when I mimic HIM and is pleased. I am grateful, GOD turns my weak, shadowlike actions into treasures I can’t imagine.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer compare the actions of a high priest to a shadow?
  •  Have you ever done something as a child, then done something similar as an adult and laughed at your childish actions?
  • Will you seek JESUS as the real thing to come and keep going with the actions the HOLY SPIRIT leads you to do, knowing you will be rewarded by GOD someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment