Monday, July 3, 2023

Trying Too Hard

 

Trying Too Hard

Hebrews 8:If there had been nothing wrong with the first covenant, there would have been no need for a second one. But God finds fault with his people when he says,

“The days are coming, says the Lord,
    when I will draw up a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors

    on the day I took them by the hand and led them out of Egypt.
They were not faithful to the covenant I made with them,
    and so I paid no attention to them.
10 Now, this is the covenant that I will make with the people of Israel

    in the days to come, says the Lord:
I will put my laws in their minds
    and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.
11 None of them will have to teach their friends

    or tell their neighbors,
    ‘Know the Lord.’
For they will all know me,
    from the least to the greatest.
12 I will forgive their sins

    and will no longer remember their wrongs.”

13 By speaking of a new covenant, God has made the first one old; and anything that becomes old and worn out will soon disappear.

 

============

 

“Don’t set your alarm, but ask GOD to wake you up” were the instructions of someone who was well meaning. I tried it and overslept. After this exercise I questioned GOD. “Why didn’t you wake me up?”

 

  • I wanted to see if this GOD thing would work.
  • I wanted to test whether or not GOD would do “as I say?”
  • I wanted to have special powers that I didn’t possess.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, says some remarkable things about what GOD did for humanity. He mentions that GOD took care of the relationship that was broken and lost by a permanent repair through a second covenant.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD did not leave anything up to chance when it came to having a relationship with me.
  • GOD placed HIS laws in my mind and wrote them on my heart.
  • GOD made me “know the LORD” and has forgiven me of my sins and does not remember any wrong I did.

 

It was all GOD! I mean, HE knew that I would not choose HIM, yet HE chose me. HE took it one step further. HE wrote HIS laws in my mind and in my heart. I do not have the responsibility to try to convince someone to “know the LORD.” But this seems confusing. What about the great commission?

 

You and I are part of the “I will.” HE never says how HE will put the laws in the minds of people or how HE will be their GOD. I am glad HE uses people to tell the Good News!

 

Challenge

  • What words from the writer are shocking to you?
  • Do you feel relieved that you do not have the responsibility of forcing people to accept JESUS?
  • Will you simply “be” a follower of JESUS and be ready to explain your relationship with HIM to anyone HE places in front of you today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment