Friday, July 7, 2023

Purified Conscience

Purified Conscience

Hebrews 9: 11 But Christ has already come as the High Priest of the good things that are already here. The tent in which he serves is greater and more perfect; it is not a tent made by human hands, that is, it is not a part of this created world. 12 When Christ went through the tent and entered once and for all into the Most Holy Place, he did not take the blood of goats and bulls to offer as a sacrifice; rather, he took his own blood and obtained eternal salvation for us. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a burnt calf are sprinkled on the people who are ritually unclean, and this purifies them by taking away their ritual impurity. 14 Since this is true, how much more is accomplished by the blood of Christ! Through the eternal Spirit he offered himself as a perfect sacrifice to God. His blood will purify our consciences from useless rituals, so that we may serve the living God.

 

============

 

Wanting to serve the LORD was met with “Look at all the sinning you have been doing.” This battle was in my head and in my heart. I was trying to return to the LORD, but I felt my sins were too great.

 

  • I did not feel “good” enough to serve the LORD.
  • I did not feel “worthy” to serve the LORD in any way.
  • I did not feel “secure” enough to know I am a sinner who is saved, therefore I let “my” sin get in the way.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, gives everyone some great news. “CHRIST has already come as the High Priest of the good things that are already here.” He then goes on to explain how JESUS was the perfect sacrifice, unlike “useless rituals” that would temporarily cleanse until the person sinned again.

 

My Observations:

  • The Good News about JESUS has to remain “Good News” without the need for trying so hard.
  • JESUS died for my sins and that makes my relationship with HIM permanent.
  • By adding “useless rituals” onto JESUS’ death burial and resurrection, I am enslaving myself rather than being freed.

 

Feeling “not good enough” to serve the LORD is a major problem. I mean, believing that JESUS forgave me of all my sins should be enough, but sometimes I think there should be more. Perhaps I did something to make GOD mad or perhaps I said or did something wrong are the false thoughts that run through my mind. BUT GOD knows about this too.

 

HE took into account the fact that I would doubt HIS power to save me ultimately. HE knew I would try to jump in and start doing stuff to “prove” my worthiness to HIM. JESUS died for my doubt and for my trying to take control from HIM. HIS resurrection clears my conscience, knowing I am a sinner who serves the living GOD. I am glad JESUS took care of it “all!”

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer use the words “useless rituals?”
  • Have you ever felt not good enough to serve GOD or to ask HIM for something?
  • Will you consider that you are being lied to and that JESUS was raised from the dead and that is all you and I need for a perfect relationship that is full of power and authority because JESUS has it today?

No comments:

Post a Comment