Thursday, July 6, 2023

Outward Appearance

 

Outward Appearance

Hebrews 9: This is how those things have been arranged. The priests go into the outer tent every day to perform their duties, but only the high priest goes into the inner tent, and he does so only once a year. He takes with him blood which he offers to God on behalf of himself and for the sins which the people have committed without knowing they were sinning. The Holy Spirit clearly teaches from all these arrangements that the way into the Most Holy Place has not yet been opened as long as the outer tent still stands. This is a symbol which points to the present time. It means that the offerings and animal sacrifices presented to God cannot make the worshiper's heart perfect, 10 since they have to do only with food, drink, and various purification ceremonies. These are all outward rules, which apply only until the time when God will establish the new order.

 

============

 

“You’re too skinny” were the cutting words I did not like. “Your hair is nappy” and “Your glasses look like professor glasses.”  At the time I felt I could do nothing about my appearance, but really wanted to change.

 

  • I found myself insecure about my appearance.
  • I wished that people would have looked on the inside instead of focusing on the outside.
  • I thought that if I focused on the outer appearance, then maybe people would investigate the inner me.

 

Paul, the assumed writer,  discussed the “outer” and “inner” tents that were used by priests and the high priest for sin offerings. Special rituals were performed to atone for sin, but this atonement was temporary. They could never truly cleanse the heart.

 

My Observations:

  • Following the Law temporarily gives me relief from the enemy, but following GOD gives me eternal relief.
  • Trying to do what the Law says makes me look good in front of people, BUT GOD knows my inner heart and is the only one who can cleanse it.
  • JESUS became the sin offering for me and the HOLY SPIRIT dwells in me to protect the inner sanctuary.

 

Trying to be perfect only appeals to the outer appearance. I mean, when I try to look good in front o everyone, yet I carry sin that he or she does not know about, my righteous appearance carries an odor of stench to the LORD. BUT GOD has a way to cleanse me.

 

Through JESUS, I am cleansed. HE does not look at my outer appearance, rather searches deep in my heart. HE then sends the HOLY SPIRIT to dwell in me and cleanse me of all my sins. HE even protects the inner sanctuary from the enemy. I am glad I do not have to look good to GOD for HIM to love me.

 

Challenge

  • What futility is the writer talking about?
  • Have you ever tried to be “good” or look “good” in front of people?
  • If you are focused on your outer appearance, will you begin to ask GOD to cleanse your inner appearance that is naked before HIM anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment