Thursday, July 27, 2023

Right Kind of Approval

Right Kind of Approval

Hebrews 11:It was faith that made Abel offer to God a better sacrifice than Cain's. Through his faith he won God's approval as a righteous man, because God himself approved of his gifts. By means of his faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

 

============

 

Wanting to be part of the “in-crowd,” I sought to change how I looked. I finally had a job that afforded me to buy my own clothes. I put on my new shirt, pants, shoes and jacket. Excited, I went to show off my new apparel. “You are too skinny” someone said to me.

 

  • I was crushed because the clothes didn’t work.
  • I wanted approval from the “in-crowd” but it still seemed far away.
  • I did not like my appearance so I tried to change it to gain approval.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, begins his list of faith examples with Abel, who was a child of Adam and eve after they were thrown out of the garden of Eden. Cain was the firstborn and brother of Abel. Both decided to give something to the LORD. Cain’s sacrifice was rejected by GOD and Abel’s was approved.

 

My Observations:

  • Cain’s offering may have been motivated by trying to rebuild the Garden of Eden.
  • Abel’s offering may have been motivated by recognizing GOD’s love and mimicking HIM through an animal sacrifice, similar to when GOD made clothes for Adam and Eve.
  • GOD loves when I sacrifice for HIS approval versus my own or when I try to win the approval of humans.

 

Fitting in can feel good but can sometimes carry consequences. I mean, when I gain the approval of humans, I may not know their motive. I may be trying to do something that goes away from GOD and towards someone who is trying to “be” GOD. I have a choice.

 

I can look at the what the “crowd” stands for and see if they are really seeking GOD or their own pleasures. HE gives me HIS HOLY SPIRIT to discern who to follow. I then have to get out of my own way and not follow myself. I am glad GOD rewards me when I seek HIM for approval.

 

Challenge

  • What example of righteousness did the writer provide?
  • Have you ever thought you were doing something great for the LORD, but were really doing it for human approval?
  • Will you seek GOD’s approval and submit to HIS ways so HE can show you a “better sacrifice” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment