Friday, July 21, 2023

Healthy Fear

 

Healthy Fear

Hebrews 26 For there is no longer any sacrifice that will take away sins if we purposely go on sinning after the truth has been made known to us. 27 Instead, all that is left is to wait in fear for the coming Judgment and the fierce fire which will destroy those who oppose God! 28 Anyone who disobeys the Law of Moses is put to death without any mercy when judged guilty from the evidence of two or more witnesses. 29 What, then, of those who despise the Son of God? who treat as a cheap thing the blood of God's covenant which purified them from sin? who insult the Spirit of grace? Just think how much worse is the punishment they will deserve! 30 For we know who said, “I will take revenge, I will repay”; and who also said, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God!

 

============

 

“This same job again?!” I said to myself. I was tired of cleaning after people and felt stuck doing so. One guy suggested I sneak off work. I feared doing that, but the thought kept running through my mind. Weeks later, I said I would do it. I hurried through my work and snuck away.

 

  • I had lost my fear of getting fired.
  • I had gotten comfortable with doing wrong.
  • I had lost sight of what I was supposed to be doing.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, gives a stern warning over believing in the SON of GOD. He implies the importance of needing either the Law or JESUS to remove the consequences of sin. He shows how ineffective the Law is towards removing sin. He then turns to JESUS being the only effective one who can absolve us from sin. Getting comfortable with disbelief will be dealt with harshly.

 

My Observations:

  • My fear of the LORD is the beginning of my wisdom.
  • I should fear taking JESUS actions lightly.
  • Every one of my sins are forgiven, but I should not be ready to continue in sin.

 

When led by the HOLY SPIRIT, I no longer get comfortable with my sin. I mean, I get this feeling that I am doing something wrong and I feel I need to not do this particular sin, this time. I feel relieved when GOD guides me away or places a barrier in the way of my blatant sin.

 

Unhealthy fear to me is when I fear humans or job loss or money loss more than fearing belief in JESUS.  The HOLY SPIRIT whispers “don’t do that” when it comes to sin. I ignore the voice and instantly feel awful. I usually feel better when I heed HIS voice. My biggest fear is not trusting in the LORD. I am grateful for HIS forgiveness.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer say about GOD’s judgment?
  • Have you ever gotten comfortable with sin?
  • Will you ask GOD for help in areas where you need HIM so HE will guide you to HIS places of refuge today?

No comments:

Post a Comment