Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Breadcrumbs

Breadcrumbs

Hebrews 9: The first covenant had rules for worship and a place made for worship as well. A tent was put up, the outer one, which was called the Holy Place. In it were the lampstand and the table with the bread offered to God. Behind the second curtain was the tent called the Most Holy Place. In it were the gold altar for the burning of incense and the Covenant Box all covered with gold and containing the gold jar with the manna in it, Aaron's stick that had sprouted leaves, and the two stone tablets with the commandments written on them. Above the Box were the winged creatures representing God's presence, with their wings spread over the place where sins were forgiven. But now is not the time to explain everything in detail.

 

============

 

Having freshly learned a fable about someone dropping breadcrumbs on a path to find the way back home seemed like a good thing to pay attention to. In the fable the birds ate the breadcrumbs and the person was lost. I figured I would correct this flaw by remembering street names on my route versus temporary landmarks. It worked until the street signs were removed or the street was renamed.

 

  • I had a false sense of security following a rule I made for myself.
  • I was proud of myself for being able to follow “my” rule.
  • I did not get lost and I felt pretty secure, until the street names changed or they were not listed or the sign was too small to read.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, lists parts of the covenant of the Law. He lists instructions given by GOD, that humans followed. Following these instructions were important, and were carried out by flawed humans.

 

My Observations:

  • Something would be missed when the list of rules was long.
  • Looking back at the breadcrumbs  of following the Law can give me a false sense of security.
  • I needed something more permanent than looking at the holy acts, humans can do.

 

Following the Law feels good because I can measure it. I mean, I can tell when I am doing right or wrong, so I carry all the holy actions around with me. This seems like a good idea, but when life happens and I fall, I drop the holy items on the ground and soil them. BUT GOD cleanse me up.

 

HE has the real “inner sanctuary” that cannot be dropped on the ground and stolen by birds. HIS holy place remains holy and it can be found because HE is the one who seeks me. HE saves the lost and guides us back to HIM I am glad I no longer have to marvel over what was made or done by humans because I can focus on JESUS as my path.

 

Challenge

  • Why does the writer begin explaining the sacred tent?
  • Have you ever felt better by trying to be holy or trying to follow the Law?
  • Will you focus your mind on JESUS, who fulfilled the Law in a way that when you fall, HE forgives you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment