Monday, July 17, 2023

Wanted Provided

Wanted Provided

Hebrews 10: First he said, “You neither want nor are you pleased with sacrifices and offerings or with animals burned on the altar and the sacrifices to take away sins.” He said this even though all these sacrifices are offered according to the Law. Then he said, “Here I am, O God, to do your will.” So God does away with all the old sacrifices and puts the sacrifice of Christ in their place. 10 Because Jesus Christ did what God wanted him to do, we are all purified from sin by the offering that he made of his own body once and for all.

 

============

 

After a number of hot days, I noticed the duct tape was peeling on one of my car “repairs.” I finally got tired of the temporary nature of taping things together. I went to the junkyard and found a replacement part. It wiped out the few dollars I had, but fixed the car.

 

  • I needed a permanent fix, but was using a temporary one.
  • I got used to the temporary fix and was willing to keep doing it for a while.
  • I finally reached a point where I could see the futility in a temporary fix.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, discussed the futility of animal sacrifices. GOD didn’t want those. HE wanted a pure sacrifice from a sinless human. JESUS volunteered to be the perfect sacrifice. HE said “Here I am, O GOD, to do YOUR will.”

 

My Observations:

  • GOD would prefer my admission to sin versus me trying to hide the fact that I cannot follow the rules.
  • GOD provided me with a way to have an everlasting relationship with HIM, namely JESUS.
  • GOD got exactly what was needed by JESUS becoming a sacrifice, all HE wants me to do is recognize this act of love.

 

Trying to follow the rules feels good to me. I mean, I can measure when I “did” stuff, but I cannot measure when GOD took care of it all. I want to be part of my salvation, so I jump in with moments of abstaining from sin. I then look to GOD for my pay as if to say “See how good I was, now give me more of life’s comforts.”  HE sees through my righteousness and is forgiving.

 

GOD knew I could not handle what it would take to have a loving relationship with HIM. HE was only satisfied with the act JESUS did. This selfless act of love was just right. I am glad JESUS was just what GOD wanted.

 

Challenge

  • How are we purified according to the writer?
  • Have you ever thought your being “good” give you more of GOD?
  • Will you focus your praise on what JESUS did so HE can guide you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment