Thursday, July 13, 2023

Necessary Reminder

Necessary Reminder

Hebrews 10: The Jewish Law is not a full and faithful model of the real things; it is only a faint outline of the good things to come. The same sacrifices are offered forever, year after year. How can the Law, then, by means of these sacrifices make perfect the people who come to God? If the people worshiping God had really been purified from their sins, they would not feel guilty of sin any more, and all sacrifices would stop. As it is, however, the sacrifices serve year after year to remind people of their sins. For the blood of bulls and goats can never take away sins.

 

============

 

After realizing my life needed to change, I stopped hanging around certain “friends.” I also stopped doing some things that I felt were detrimental to my relationship with GOD. Things got much better. I attributed it to “my” cleansing efforts and felt others needed to do the same.

 

  • I was “proud” of myself for turning “my” life around.
  • I thought I had “arrived” at being holy.
  • I judged those who were still struggling with sins “I” had overcome.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, addressed piety and self-pride. While the Law was extremely useful, it is not the “full and faithful model of the real things.” In fact, the Law was to be used to show how futile our efforts are to be clean. Traditions, and following the rules, would never ever cleanse sin.

 

My Observations:

  • My efforts to be clean are similar to a full diaper.
  • Only JESUS can make me clean because my thoughts are never on HIM.
  • When I remember what JESUS did, I am also reminded that I need HIM daily.

 

Sin doesn’t go away because I act good from time to time. I mean, if I think my “good” efforts merit GOD doing something different, I am in a world of trouble. HE says “Your righteousness are like filthy rags.” I can never do or say anything that is “clean” to HIM because the Law is not the “real thing.”

 

JESUS is the real thing. HE took away my sin and declared me holy. Only through HIM am I seen as clean. HE makes my pitiful efforts righteous and enhances my words to draw people to HIM. I am glad JESUS did it all so I do not have to think I need to save the world.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer mean by “faint outline?”
  • Have you ever been proud of yourself for not doing the same sin on a particular day?
  • Will you stop looking at your own efforts to please GOD and know HE loves you dearly as much as HE can and HE is willing to live inside you with full love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment