Tuesday, June 6, 2023

By Now

 

By Now

Hebrews 5: 11 There is much we have to say about this matter, but it is hard to explain to you, because you are so slow to understand. 12 There has been enough time for you to be teachers—yet you still need someone to teach you the first lessons of God's message. Instead of eating solid food, you still have to drink milk. 13 Anyone who has to drink milk is still a child, without any experience in the matter of right and wrong. 14 Solid food, on the other hand, is for adults, who through practice are able to distinguish between good and evil.

 

============

 

Sitting back and listening to the leader, I had many suggestions for improvement. One day, someone approached me and said, “When are you going to lead?”” The challenge felt like an insult at first, but eventually I wrapped my head around the concept and became a leader of a small group of people. It was harder than I thought.

 

  • I had to learn while I was expected to be the teacher.
  • I had to grow in ways I never would have imagined.
  • I had to get out of my comfort zone and step into the spotlight, receiving the criticism instead of dishing it out.

 

“When will you grow up?” were the implied words from Paul, the assumed writer. He urged those who have been taught about JESUS to grow in spiritual maturity enough to teach instead of always being taught.

 

My Observations

  • Solid food is for adults and GOD wants me to grow to eat it.
  • Life is difficult so GOD wants me to be able to face it with HIS ways, which equates to “solid food.”
  • Going to church can become a habit, BUT GOD wants me to grow up enough to take on responsibility outside being preached to.

 

“Act your age” is what the old folks used to say, meaning “by now you should be growing away from childish behavior.” It doesn’t feel good to be responsible for something, especially as precious as life after death. BUT GOD has given humans the responsibility to spread the Gospel versus always absorbing it.

 

GOD wants you and me to eventually grow up enough to teach, preach and live the Good news about JESUS. HE wants to give “solid food” to be able to bring people back to HIMSELF. I gladly accept the responsibility HE gives me and pray HE guides me to growth.

 

Challenge

  • What are the “first lessons” the writer is speaking about?
  • Have you ever imagined yourself in a perpetual kindergarten?
  • Do you expect to always learn without ever teaching?
  • Will you accept GOD’s growth and begin teaching HIS “solid food” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment