Friday, June 9, 2023

Heart Soil

Heart Soil

Hebrews 6: God blesses the soil which drinks in the rain that often falls on it and which grows plants that are useful to those for whom it is cultivated. But if it grows thorns and weeds, it is worth nothing; it is in danger of being cursed by God and will be destroyed by fire.

 

============

 

“Ha, ha, you don’t even know how to curse right” were the words that fueled me to learn how to curse “right.” I practiced my foul language and got it down to a science. After a while, I was listening t how comedians used this language in jokes. I soaked in every word I could listen to.

 

  • The more garbage I listened to, the more desensitized I became.
  • I used foul language to joke, but eventually used it to increase the level of an argument.
  • I wound up expressing frustration with foul language and brushed it off to “everyone else uses it.”

 

Paul the assumed writer, gives two types of soil, one that grows useful plants and one that grows thorns and weeds. Rather than looking at this as farming tips, Paul may have been speaking about the condition of the heart.

 

My Observations

  • Things that are placed in my heart will grow into something good or something terrible.
  • GOD wants to place HIS word in my heart, but if I have filled it with the garbage of the world, there will be no room for HIM to live.
  • GOD gets excited when I listen to HIM and HE grows “plants that are useful” from me listening to HIM.

 

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control are all things that can grow from my heart when I listen to GOD. I mean, when I follow HIS ways, the fruit of the SPIRIT overflows from my heart.  Unfortunately, the opposite happens when I purposefully disobey HIM.

 

When I put the world in my heart, it grows greed, hatred, lust, blame and unhealthy self-consciousness that reverberates through all I do. Lies appear to be real and the false Utopia of the world crashes down on me. BUT GOD cleans my heart and cultivates a place where HE can live and grow me. I am glad GOD chooses to stay with me.

 

Challenge

  • What soil sticks out to you from the writer?
  • Have you ever wanted to stop a behavior, but didn’t see how to?
  • Have you checked your heart to see if you have fallen?
  • Will you allow GOD to cleanse your heart HIS way so you can bear fruit for HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment