Thursday, June 8, 2023

Different Than a Tantrum

 

Different Than a Tantrum

Hebrews 6: For how can those who abandon their faith be brought back to repent again? They were once in God's light; they tasted heaven's gift and received their share of the Holy Spirit; they knew from experience that God's word is good, and they had felt the powers of the coming age. And then they abandoned their faith! It is impossible to bring them back to repent again, because they are again crucifying the Son of God and exposing him to public shame.

 

============

 

“I’m not going to serve YOU anymore” was my threat to GOD. I was tired of the hypocrites and saw no difference from those who were supposed to be “good” and those who were supposed to be “sinners.” And it didn’t seem like I was any better off trying this “GOD” stuff. I was still broke, alone and failing.

 

  • I threw a tantrum and left GOD.
  • I wanted to try “pleasure” as a way to cope with the burdens of life.
  • I gave up following GOD to try something different and ended up worse off.

 

Paul, the assumed writer, asks a very deep rhetorical question. “For how can those who abandon their faith be brought back to repent again?” He was not speaking about falling into temptation, rather walking away from believing in JESUS as the Savior for some other belief. It means there was a clear understanding of the faith in JESUS and a choice to not believe.

 

My Observations

  • My salvation began before the beginning of the world.
  • Once I accept CHRIST as my Savior, I am eternally saved.
  • Even when I throw a tantrum and try to stop serving GOD, HE is still with me.

 

Abandoning the faith is different than throwing a tantrum. I mean, when I am not getting “my” way, I may try to force GOD’s hand to make thing happen the way I think they should. This is not a good practice, but HE gently guides me back to HIM. But what about those who pretend to be saved?

 

Whether it is for fitting in or it felt like the right thing to do at the time, but now this other thing feels like the right thing to do, these people publicly abandoned faith in JESUS. In pondering this, it could mean that the initial “belief” was not belief, rather a possible deception. GOD knows who is HIS and HE will never leave those who believe in HIM. I am glad GOD forgives my tantrums and brings me back to the faith.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer mean by “Abandon the faith?”
  • Have you ever wanted to stop following GOD because you were not getting your way?
  • Will you check your relationship with GOD by understanding the foundation of JESUS as your Savior, so you can focus on HIS growth HE has for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment