Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Party Mind


Luke 12: 16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

21 “So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”

============

Thursday was my “Friday” when it cam to this particular job. When I got off work I was finally free from the shackles and I could do what “I” wanted to do. I made a few calls and said “The party starts at 12:34 AM. I’m barbequing! Bring your own bottle!”

  • “Living life” once meant what type of vacation could I go on.
  • “Living life” once meant how many people could I cram into my party.
  • “Living life” once meant spending valuable time showing people “my” stuff so “I” could be admired.


JESUS used the parable of the wealthy man to illustrate the fact that human pride mixed with greed is blinding. Instead of sharing the wealth that obviously came from GOD, the man had plans to keep his wealth to himself and then party. JESUS used this to moment to discuss true treasure.

  • GOD wants me to invest some of my time thinking of others rather than only thinking of myself.
  • GOD wants me to reduce my “party, vacation” mindset to increase helping my neighbor.
  • GOD wants me to see the needs of those around me so I can share my time, wealth and belief in JESUS.


Purpose was lacking in the wealthy man in the parable and sometimes it is lacking in me. When I seek “my” pleasure, I can blame others for not allowing me to have “my” way. Either with lack of money or lack of time, I can grouse over not having the ability to vacation or party or buy something new.

BUT GOD wants me to grow up. HE does not mind me having friends over nor does HE mind me being wealthy. HE does mind when my entire purpose is to only enjoy life, passing up opportunities to help others. Constantly seeking to enjoy life will only bear fruit that is temporary. GOD’s fruit lasts forever. I want GOD’s fruit.

  • Are you constantly seeking to buy new stuff?
  • Do you think by having more stuff or better vacations, your life would be better?
  • Can you change your mindset and see the value of serving people the way GOD wants you to so you can store up treasure in heaven today?


No comments:

Post a Comment