Thursday, November 29, 2018

Patient to a Point


Luke 13: He also spoke this parable: “A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, ‘Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?’ But he answered and said to him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it. And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.’ ”

============

“Get rid of that person” were the words I feared as I stumbled to find my way on my first job. I did not know how complicated everything was and my direct boss was definitely of no assistance. His boss, however, was patient with me and decided to give me a little space to “study” my way into the position.

  • There were times when I patient people watching over me.
  • There were times when I was the one who was messing up but someone gave me grace.
  • There were times when I had no direction so I needed an extra dose of forgiveness.


JESUS tells the parable of the barren fig tree. He explains the expectation of the tree is to bear fruit. If the tree does not bear fruit then it should be cut down. HE then takes a turn in the story by saying, the gardener begged to show the fruitless tree some mercy but to a point.

  • The HOLY SPIRIT begs for forgiveness daily on my behalf.
  • The HOLY SPIRIT has patience with me and shows me mercy daily.
  • The HOLY SPIRIT wants me to bear fruit and shows me the way to true life.


GOD wants me to be successful and the HOLY SPIRIT cares for me. BUT GOD has an expectation that at some point I bear fruit. If my world only consists of “me” then I will not bear the fruit GOD expects. HE provides fertile ground and brings many people to me in expectation that I speak about the HOLY ONE, who is the CHRIST.

My silence equals barren fruit and while GOD is patient, HE could someday say “enough.” HE holds death in HIS hands and once HE provides it, there is no return. I am glad GOD has patience with me.

  • Do you feel you are messing up?
  • Do you feel lost and without direction?
  • Can you believe GOD has patience with you and wants you to succeed?
  • Will you ask GOD how HE wants you to bear fruit for HIM today in spite of your situation?


No comments:

Post a Comment