Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Patch it Up


Luke 12: 57 “Yes, and why, even of yourselves, do you not judge what is right?58 When you go with your adversary to the magistrate, make every effort along the way to settle with him, lest he drag you to the judge, the judge deliver you to the officer, and the officer throw you into prison. 59 I tell you, you shall not depart from there till you have paid the very last mite.”

============

“Ooo, you gonna get it!” I said to my sibling in anger. During my rage I wanted someone else to be mad at this person so I figured I would take matters to a higher authority. When I exclaimed my discontent the “judge” punished both of us. “Wait a minute. I didn’t do anything wrong” or so I thought.

  • There were times when I wanted to be right and wound up being wrong.
  • There were times when I wanted my adversary to be punished and I got punished instead.
  • There were times when I poked out my lip and said “but they did it” and was told, “Yes but you know better.”


JESUS cuts through a litigious group who wanted “their” way at every turn. They went off to prove they were right instead of coming to an agreement. The person who dragged another to the judge could possibly wind up in trouble.

  • GOD wants me to come to an agreement with those I oppose.
  • GOD wants me to not be “right” all the time but be with people in an effort to have peace.
  • GOD wants me to have peace with my neighbor without compromising my beliefs and values.


Sometimes by saying “You are right”, gives my adversary room to discover if they are truly right. Joining the person for the purpose of peace brings fruit that I could not imagine. GOD does not want me to violate HIS word so I can still work within my values.

HE simply wants me to review the argument and if it is not violating HIS word, then maybe I should drop the issue and not hold onto being right. Maybe the other person needs to be “right” in order to feel good that day. GOD wants me to drag people off in front of HIM for prayer, but the prayer should be for them to prosper.

  • Are you seeking to be right or to be with “that” person?
  • Do you want others on your side but maybe you are wrong?
  • Will you stop trying to be “right” and seek peace that only comes from GOD today?


No comments:

Post a Comment