Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Jealousy


John 21: 20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”

22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

============

Me and another person were top in our business class. We worked hard to study and figure things out. When we got our first business engagement, we poured our hearts into in. I worked tirelessly to prove my worth. One guy, who played golf well and told great jokes, got promoted over us. “What about us?” I inquired, really wanting to know “What about me?”

  • There were times when I based my worth on winning over someone else.
  • There were times when I looked at relationships as win-lose.
  • There were times when I felt I needed recognition rather than correction.


Frustrated after JESUS had just restored him, Peter lashed out and said “What about him?”, as if to say, “Why not scold him for betraying YOU?” JESUS sees Peter’s hurt heart and guides him again by saying “What is that to you? Follow ME.” This sounded harsh, but it grew Peter.

  • JESUS wants me to have my relationship with HIM.
  • JESUS wants me to look at my sins and confess them to HIM every day.
  • JESUS wants me to grow my relationship with HIM by seeking HIM and not pouting at what other people are doing or getting.


Jealousy is a heart rotter. I mean when I look at what other people are getting or doing, I wonder if GOD loves me. I question the love of the One who actually loves me. BUT GOD knows this and comes after me anyway. HE erases my jealousy and still rewards me in spite of me. I thank GOD for forgiving me.

  • Do you act jealous?
  • Do you downplay other people’s accomplishments, talents or skills because you secretly desire to be where they are?
  • Will you stop looking at other people and know GOD made you exactly as you are and loves you at HIS maximum already?


No comments:

Post a Comment