Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Looking Across


Acts 10The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”

14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”

15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

============

When certain people walked in the room, I got nervous. I mean, what was I supposed to say? I shook the CEO’s hand and said “I won the President’s Award recently.” He replied “Good for you” in a missed opportunity way. I did not know how to speak to the upper echelon.

Sometime later I walked around downtown. “Do you have any spare change?” asked a homeless person. He wreaked of all kinds of smells. With money in pocket I replied “Not this time.”

  • Many times I treated some people as if they were higher than others.
  • Many times I treated some people as if they were lower than others.
  • Many times I treated some people as if “they” were unclean because “they” were sinners.


Peter was given a vision from GOD that was kind of extreme. He was told to eat animals and bugs that were not ceremonially clean for a Jew. Peter, trying to be righteous, replied “I have never eaten anything common or unclean.” He looked down on certain foods and up at others.

  • GOD wants me to see people as “us” not “them.”
  • GOD wants me to sympathize and empathize with people.
  • GOD wants me to treat everyone the same and share GOD’s love, even to those I feel do not “deserve” it.


Looking up or down at people causes problems. I mean when I think I am lower than other people, I may not speak about GOD to them even if HE tells me to. On the other hand, when I look down at people I may not think they “deserve” a message from GOD.

Looking across at people enables me to see that “we” are all fallen people . I have sinned and so have they. As I have said before “We are in the mud, throwing mud at each other, saying ‘you have mud on you’.” GOD wants me to have an attitude of grace, not mud flinging. I am grateful HE sees me as clean, I should see others HE sends me to, the same way.

  • Do you look down on people around you or on the news?
  • Do you think you are better than “that” person?
  • Will you widen your heart to include people who do not look or act like you so you and them will receive GOD’s grace today?


No comments:

Post a Comment