Friday, May 1, 2020

I’ll Just Buy It


Acts 8: 18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20 But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money! 21 You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God. 22 Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”

24 Then Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me, that none of the things which you have spoken may come upon me.”

25 So when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord, they returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.

============

Hearing the preacher preach about giving, I felt led to fill up the offering plate. I mean if everyone in the small gathering knew what I did the night before, I would be embarrassed. “Maybe if I give money to a church, then my sinfulness will go away” I thought.

  • There were times when I gave out of guilt.
  • There were times when I thought I could give to a church so I could be forgiven.
  • There were times when I tried to buy GOD’s favor because the preaching made me think that’s what HE wanted.


Simon saw GOD’s power being used through the apostles. He wanted to know how they had this special power and was willing to pay for it. Peter condemned Simon’s request because it was rooted from an evil desire to “buy power.”

  • GOD wants me to ask HIM for forgiveness of my sins.
  • GOD wants me to have a relationship with HIM that is not based on money.
  • GOD wants me to seek HIS power but only to point people to HIM.


Wanting a person healed is a great desire. But when I want others to notice it was “my” prayer that healed the person then I start following Satan’s prideful path. GOD wants to be recognized for everything. HE wants me to guide people back to HIM and know HE accepts me just as I am.

I do not have to buy HIS favor for HE has already done enough for me. I cannot pay enough for what JESUS did for me. GOD wants my heart and my possessions. HE leads me to give directly to those in need but wants me to spread the great news about JESUS more than focus on giving money. I cannot buy GOD’s favor, but I can be thankful that HIS grace is sufficient.

  • Do you feel guilty so you give to a group who are called a church?
  • Can you recognize that the church of JESUS is made up of those who believe in HIM and HIS salvation cannot be purchased?
  • Will you stop trying to buy forgiveness and praise GOD for salvation by telling people about HIS SON versus trying to get people to come to “your” gathering?


No comments:

Post a Comment