Friday, May 22, 2020

Reputation


Acts 9: 36 At Joppa there was a certain disciple named Tabitha, which is translated Dorcas. This woman was full of good works and charitable deeds which she did. 37 But it happened in those days that she became sick and died. When they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room. 38 And since Lydda was near Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent two men to him, imploring him not to delay in coming to them. 39 Then Peter arose and went with them. When he had come, they brought him to the upper room. And all the widows stood by him weeping, showing the tunics and garments which Dorcas had made while she was with them. 40 But Peter put them all out, and knelt down and prayed. And turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. 41 Then he gave her his hand and lifted her up; and when he had called the saints and widows, he presented her alive. 42 And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord. 43 So it was that he stayed many days in Joppa with Simon, a tanner

============

As I looked at my worn heels, I finally gave into the thought of getting them repaired. I voiced my decision to someone who replied “I got a shoe repair guy who is fantastic.” I took the worn shoes to him and when I got them back, they were polished with new laces and soles. I had a newish pair of shoes!

  • There have been people I sought after because of their reputation.
  • There have been people I wanted to work with because of their reputation.
  • There have been people I paid attention to because of their reputation.


Tabitha, also known as Dorcas, had a wonderful reputation of serving people. She was a seamstress and a tailor who did far more than her craft. She touched lives in a positive, godly way. Peter was summoned because of his reputation of JESUS working through him in amazing ways. Both reputations were for GOD.

  • JESUS wants me to follow HIM so I can become more like HIM.
  • JESUS wants me to learn of HIM and from HIM so I can be like HIM.
  • JESUS wants me to see HIS reputation as something to strive for so I can be like HIM.


People say “At my funeral I want to be known for…” in a way that says they want to be remembered by their actions. GOD wants me to fill in the dots with HIS service. HE wants me to have HIS reputation so people can know they can come to me to discuss HIM.

GOD’s reputation is one of love, life and obedience to HIM. HE loves when I serve others just because it is the right thing to do. I value what GOD thinks of me.

  • Are you trying to build a reputation without bringing GOD into your life?
  • Do you care more about what humans think of you than of what GOD thinks of you?
  • Will you seek a reputation with GOD, so HE can use the gifts and talents HE gave you for HIS purpose today?


No comments:

Post a Comment