Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Proceed with Caution

Proceed with Caution

1 Corinthians 7: 25 Now, concerning what you wrote about unmarried people: I do not have a command from the Lord, but I give my opinion as one who by the Lord's mercy is worthy of trust.

 

26 Considering the present distress, I think it is better for a man to stay as he is. 27 Do you have a wife? Then don't try to get rid of her. Are you unmarried? Then don't look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you haven't committed a sin; and if an unmarried woman marries, she hasn't committed a sin. But I would rather spare you the everyday troubles that married people will have.

 

29 What I mean, my friends, is this: there is not much time left, and from now on married people should live as though they were not married; 30 those who weep, as though they were not sad; those who laugh, as though they were not happy; those who buy, as though they did not own what they bought; 31 those who deal in material goods, as though they were not fully occupied with them. For this world, as it is now, will not last much longer.

 

============

 

Driving in an unfamiliar area, I saw one of those familiar temporary construction signs except this time it had more words. “Proceed with Caution Icy Roads” was the glaring warning. Having driven on icy roads before, I slowed down. A car sped past me. Hours down the road, I saw that same car flipped over in the ditch, surrounded by emergency vehicles.

 

  • Many times I have seen warning signs.
  • Many times I have been told “Proceed with Caution.”
  • Many times I have had the chance to correct what I was doing so I could remain on the road.

 

Paul continues addressing many concerns written to him. He tries to explain living with purpose versus should a person get married or not. He then gives an answer. “Time is short.”

 

  • GOD wants me to live my life as though tomorrow were the last day.
  • GOD wants me to live my life with purpose rather than only seeking pleasure.
  • GOD wants me to live my life looking for JESUS to return, rather than seeking solving the “present distress.”

 

Looking for JESUS does not mean giving up on life and sitting in the corner. Well, not for everyone. I mean, JESUS’ return is imminent and every moment is numbered. But Paul wrote this a long, long time ago. What does he mean by “not much time left?”

 

Two things will happen. Either I will die or CHRIST will return in my lifetime. Either way, I do not have much time. A person’s life is short compared to eternity. I can choose to fill it with life’s pleasures and bear little to no fruit for JESUS or I can surrender my life to HIM. I gladly give my life to HIM because of HIS love for me.

 

  • Are you so focused on this life that you never speak about JESUS?
  • Do you think the warning signs have not flashed in your face?
  • Will you heed the warnings of the present distress and allow GOD to guide your life through HIS SON JESUS, who will give you the HOLY SPIRIT as your comforter today?

No comments:

Post a Comment