Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Break Thought Patterns

 Break Thought Patterns

1 Corinthians 8: But not everyone knows this truth. Some people have been so used to idols that to this day when they eat such food they still think of it as food that belongs to an idol; their conscience is weak, and they feel they are defiled by the food. Food, however, will not improve our relation with God; we shall not lose anything if we do not eat, nor shall we gain anything if we do eat.

 

============

 

“Step on a crack, break your mother’s back. Step on a line, break your mother’s spine” were the superstitious rhymes told to me that I quickly believed. I didn’t want to hurt my mother so I avoided stepping on cracks and lines in the sidewalk at all cost. But one dreaded day, I stepped on a crack! I went home later that day and saw she was fine.

 

  • There were times when I let superstitions guide my actions.
  • There were times when I let old sayings determine my outcomes.
  • There were times when I let idols provide me with my path, even though they were powerless.

 

Paul continues addressing an issue that people were concerned about. He lets people know that food does not “belong” to an idol because an idol is powerless. He says “their conscience is weak.” Then he provides the real solution, GOD.

 

  • GOD wants me to drop my superstitions, and place my trust in HIM.
  • GOD wants me to drop my control, and place my faith in HIM.
  • GOD wants me to drop my fears, doubts and worries, and place my confidence in HIM.

 

Thinking I can control outcomes is a huge problem. I mean, when I subject my thinking to superstitions and hearsay, I can get tossed around by life very easily. I wind up following something that leads me to a dead end where I cannot answer the question “now what?” when a problem arises.

 

BUT GOD provides the solution. HE gave me the HOLY SPIRIT, who loves me and is concerned about me. I am led by HIM to the truth, which sets me free. I may sin, but I am freed from the bondage of my sins. I am glad I do not have to let fear, doubt and worry rule when I know GOD is for me.

 

  • Are you following superstitions?
  • Does your thought pattern automatically begin with negative versus trust in GOD?
  • Will you break your natural thinking and ask GOD for the faith, love and hope you need so you can grow in HIM today to bear HIS fruit of the Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment