Monday, July 12, 2021

Puffed or Built

Puffed or Built

1 Corinthians 8: Now, concerning what you wrote about food offered to idols.

It is true, of course, that “all of us have knowledge,” as they say. Such knowledge, however, puffs a person up with pride; but love builds up. Those who think they know something really don't know as they ought to know. But the person who loves God is known by him.

 

============

 

“Why are you carrying all those files?” a leader questioned me. “I want to be prepared with the answer” I replied. I had been caught off guard by someone who was trying to trip me up and this was not going to happen again. He said, “Having the answers sometimes does not show leadership.”

 

  • There have been times when I felt insecure.
  • There have been times when I thought having the answers would make me look intelligent.
  • There have been times when I believed the smarter I looked the more accepted I would be.

 

Paul was about to address a concern regarding food offered to idols, but he starts with a strange beginning. He begins with self-pride. The root of the pride is the dependence on human knowledge. He then offers the solution to the self-pride, simply to relax and be known by GOD.

 

  • GOD wants me to rejoice that HE saved me.
  • GOD wants me to be excited about my relationship with HIM.
  • GOD wants me to be alright with not having the answers because HE is the answer.

 

Being puffed up or built up is a choice. I mean, when I seek validation from humans, I may look to be intelligent in front of groups of people and ask the crowd to “like” what I said. I guess that is why social media is so popular. This causes me to be “puffed up.” BUT GOD wants my validation to come from HIM. HE builds me up with HIS love.

 

Just knowing that I am known by HIM should make me excited. HE did everything to have a solid relationship with me, even when I was not seeking HIM. HE saw my sins before I was born, yet created me anyway. HE died for my sins and was raised from the dead. HE gave me the COMFORTER when I believed in HIM. And HE guides me daily with love. I am grateful HE knows me.

 

  • Are you seeking approval from humans?
  • Do you feel insecure so you think knowledge is your route to being affirmed?
  • Will you rejoice in the fact that the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful GOD, knows and loves you and is willing to guide you if you surrender your life to HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment