Thursday, July 15, 2021

Remove Barriers

Remove Barriers

1 Corinthians 8: Be careful, however, not to let your freedom of action make those who are weak in the faith fall into sin. 10 Suppose a person whose conscience is weak in this matter sees you, who have so-called “knowledge,” eating in the temple of an idol; will not this encourage him to eat food offered to idols? 11 And so this weak person, your brother for whom Christ died, will perish because of your “knowledge”! 12 And in this way you will be sinning against Christ by sinning against other Christians and wounding their weak conscience. 13 So then, if food makes a believer sin, I will never eat meat again, so as not to make a believer fall into sin.

 

============

 

“Put on your best” were the words of someone, I think. We were all dressed in suits and dresses, giving our “best” every Sunday at church. The SPIRIT of the LORD moved me to go out into the neighborhood and invite people. “No thanks, I don’t have anything to wear” was the barrier presented to me.

 

  • There have been many things I did that were a barrier to someone.
  • There have been many things I did that may have caused someone to stumble.
  • There have been many things I did that seemed harmless to me, but were harmful to others.

 

“Be careful” was Paul’s warning. He was addressing a question about food offered to idols. He replied with a statement that idols have no power. But he warns everyone who believes to be careful not to make a believer fall into sin. If there is a person who is “weaker in faith”, be careful with liberties.

 

  • GOD wants me to use discernment around people who are just starting to know CHRIST.
  • GOD wants me to drop my assumptions that everyone is at the same maturity level.
  • GOD wants me to keep my liberties to myself if they will cause a person to fall into sin.

 

“It’s all good” is not all good to everyone. I mean, when I am speaking to someone, my relaxed attitude towards something may cause a person to doubt a truth I may have spoken about JESUS. This truth may cause that person to sin. Now I have caused a sin against CHRIST.

 

GOD wants me to be willing to make adjustments to the way I do things so I will be inviting rather than offensive. This only goes so far. The message of JESUS is quite offensive and HE does not want me to stop speaking about HIM. But I can stop wearing suits, eating certain things and going to buildings on certain days “temporarily” while I am with a person who I may offend. I am glad GOD’s grace is sufficient.

 

  • Are you being offensive and are unaware?
  • Do you follow customs versus being led by the SPIRIT?
  • Will you examine your habits and see if the good ones have become a barrier to GOD and ask HIM to remove it immediately today?

No comments:

Post a Comment