Friday, July 9, 2021

Bound Freedom

Bound Freedom

1 Corinthians 7: 39 A married woman is not free as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, then she is free to be married to any man she wishes, but only if he is a Christian. 40 She will be happier, however, if she stays as she is. That is my opinion, and I think that I too have God's Spirit.

 

============

 

“I can’t wait until I am adult” I thought to myself. I had too many rules to follow and I wanted to be “free.” Little did I know that when I grew up, the “rules” provided me with freedom.

 

  • When I was immature, I saw the “rules” as the problem.
  • When I was unaware, I saw the “rules” as a barrier to my “freedom.”
  • When I was being lied to, I saw the “rules” as a way to hold me down from having “fun.”

 

Paul concludes answering the questions sent to him about marriage. He provides guidance for widows concerning remarriage. He did this by focusing in on the SPIRIT of the LORD and aligning his response with GOD’s desires.

 

  • GOD wants me to be free within HIS rules.
  • GOD wants me to be free from the world but follow HIS rules while living in the world.
  • GOD wants me to be free from the slavery of sin so I can speak about HIS SON.

 

Sin will lie about freedom. I mean, sin will tell me that it is better than following GOD’s rules. Single moments of selfishness or hatred or pleasure usually end up in worse situations, but sin would make me think those things bring freedom.

 

GOD wants me to see that by being bound to HIM, I am set free. The sin that so easily tosses me around, causing more turmoil in my life, no longer enslaves me. Yes, I sin. But GOD’s amazing grace is sufficient to cleanse me of the unrighteousness I so easily fall into. I gladly bind myself to GOD so I can receive HIS freedom.

 

  • Do you long to be “free?”
  • What is in your heart that actually enslaves you?
  • Will you ask GOD to set you free from all the things that hold you back from true freedom today?

No comments:

Post a Comment