Thursday, July 22, 2021

Why do it?

Why do it?

1 Corinthians 9: 15 But I haven't made use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this now in order to claim such rights for myself. I would rather die first! Nobody is going to turn my rightful boast into empty words! 16 I have no right to boast just because I preach the gospel. After all, I am under orders to do so. And how terrible it would be for me if I did not preach the gospel! 17 If I did my work as a matter of free choice, then I could expect to be paid; but I do it as a matter of duty, because God has entrusted me with this task. 18 What pay do I get, then? It is the privilege of preaching the Good News without charging for it, without claiming my rights in my work for the gospel.

 

============

 

After punching out on Thursday, a feeling of dread came over me. I was supposed to be relieved because it was the weekend, but I knew I had to return to work on Sunday. “The only reason I cleaned toilets was because of the money” I said to myself.

 

  • Getting a degree was my motive for finishing school.
  • Getting a few dollars was my motive for being a janitor.
  • Getting training and certifications was my motive for increasing my salary.

 

Paul speaks about the right to be paid for speaking about the Good News of JESUS. He did not exercise this right, though he could. Instead he called it a “privilege” because GOD entrusted him with this task.

 

  • GOD wants me to give people the Good News of JESUS.
  • GOD wants me to be excited that HE trusts me to speak about JESUS.
  • GOD wants me to be honored at the privilege of speaking about JESUS.

 

Being able to speak about JESUS is no boasting matter. GOD has given me an order to speak about HIS SON whenever and wherever I can. Paid or unpaid, it is a privilege that should not be taken lightly.

 

When I am motivated by “getting” I spend all kinds of time, money and effort to be what humans expect. But when I am focused on “giving”, GOD gets excited because HE has entrusted me with this honor. I gladly speak about JESUS, paid or unpaid.

 

  • Is your life centered around what you can “get” out of it?
  • Are your dreams and aspirations focused on what you should be “getting?”
  • Will you ask GOD to guide you into what you can “give” instead of what you can “get” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment