Monday, July 26, 2021

Train Like an Olympian

Train Like an Olympian

1 Corinthians 9: 23 All this I do for the gospel's sake, in order to share in its blessings. 24 Surely you know that many runners take part in a race, but only one of them wins the prize. Run, then, in such a way as to win the prize. 25 Every athlete in training submits to strict discipline, in order to be crowned with a wreath that will not last; but we do it for one that will last forever. 26 That is why I run straight for the finish line; that is why I am like a boxer who does not waste his punches. 27 I harden my body with blows and bring it under complete control, to keep myself from being disqualified after having called others to the contest.

 

============

 

“Practice is after school” the coach said. Having no idea what that meant, I was excited. “After you finish stretching, follow the leader in a two mile run.” I was exhausted when I finished, but glad that It was done. I was ready to go home when the coach said “That’s it for the warm up, now let’s get to the practice.” “You have got to be kidding me!” I thought to myself.

 

  • There have been many things I have practiced for.
  • There have been plays, sporting events and presentations I have practiced for.
  • There have been many times that I have competed and sometimes I won the prize.

 

Paul compares spreading the Gospel to that of training for the Olympics. He mentions track runners and boxers in his comparison. He says “they submit to strict discipline, in order to be crowned with a wreath that will not last” But what crown will last?

 

  • GOD wants me to treat my life as though I were practicing for the most difficult competition.
  • GOD wants me to treat the Gospel as if it were an Olympic event.
  • GOD wants me to treat my mind body and soul as an athlete does, with complete self-control.

 

Quite honestly I still get amazed at the timing of the scripture. I mean, the Olympics are going on right now and I get excited watching those who have spent their entire lives dedicated to discipline for a shot at winning the highest prize, a gold medal. But this prize will not last. The next Olympics will come and their name will be forgotten.

 

BUT GOD does not forget my name. When I stay in the race of life and dedicate it to spreading the Gospel, I win an eternal crown. GOD’s rewards are far greater than any I could ever imagine. I gladly train so I can finish the race and hear GOD say “Well done.”

 

  • Do you admire people who win contests?
  • Do you get excited when a person or a team wins?
  • Will you put the same type of excitement into winning people for CHRIST today?

No comments:

Post a Comment