Thursday, February 17, 2022

Embarrassing Hypocrisy

 Embarrassing Hypocrisy

Galatians 2: 11 But when Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him in public, because he was clearly wrong. 12 Before some men who had been sent by James arrived there, Peter had been eating with the Gentile believers. But after these men arrived, he drew back and would not eat with the Gentiles, because he was afraid of those who were in favor of circumcising them. 13 The other Jewish believers also started acting like cowards along with Peter; and even Barnabas was swept along by their cowardly action. 14 When I saw that they were not walking a straight path in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, “You are a Jew, yet you have been living like a Gentile, not like a Jew. How, then, can you try to force Gentiles to live like Jews?”

 

============

 

Complaining about what other people were doing had become a skill of mine. It felt pretty good when people would listen to how I could point out the wrongs of someone else. But one day, I found myself on the other side of the problem equation. I had made a mistake and my “perfect” record was smudged. The very thing I said other people were doing wrong, I was doing.

 

  • I did not know I could be at fault because I was thinking too highly of myself.
  • I did not think I would be wrong because I did not factor in my infallibilities.
  • I did not consider I could be the problem because I was too busy trying to get or please a crowd.

 

Peter was passionate in all he did. Unfortunately, he acted like a hypocrite, causing many to do the same. Paul pointed out Peter’s hypocrisy in front of everyone. He said nothing about Peter that he did not already point out for himself. Course correction was needed.

 

My Observations

  • We are all sinners which makes every human a hypocrite in GOD’s eyes.
  • My hypocrisy needs to be placed in front of JESUS so HE can guide my tongue away from it.
  • GOD enables me to self-examine so the HOLY SPIRIT can open my eyes to my hypocrisy.

 

Embarrassing is the only word I can think of when it comes to hypocrisy after realization. I mean, I may be thinking everything is going smoothly until things tumble down on “my” words or “my” actions. It is easy to sit back and say someone is doing something wrong or saying something not aligned with “the truth” but only GOD knows the deepest truth.

 

HE knows the hidden motives of those who are deeply steeped in hypocrisy. GOD calls us to look at only one human for perfection, namely JESUS who is GOD that dwelt amongst us.

 

When I compare myself to others, using my own measuring tape, I come out looking pretty good. But when I compare myself to JESUS, I am rotten to the core, then I see that even my comparison measurement is hypocritic. I am glad JESUS is willing to forgive my hypocrisy.

 

Challenge

  • How would you have handled the situation between Paul and Peter?
  • What was the writer trying to convey?
  • Have you ever been embarrassed publicly and been wrong?
  • Will you ask GOD to help you search your heart to see if there are any ways that HE needs to remove so you can acknowledge HIS grace that is sufficient for you and others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment