Friday, February 18, 2022

Perfection Perplexion

Perfection Perplexion

Galatians 2: 15 Indeed, we are Jews by birth and not “Gentile sinners,” as they are called. 16 Yet we know that a person is put right with God only through faith in Jesus Christ, never by doing what the Law requires. We, too, have believed in Christ Jesus in order to be put right with God through our faith in Christ, and not by doing what the Law requires. For no one is put right with God by doing what the Law requires. 17 If, then, as we try to be put right with God by our union with Christ, we are found to be sinners, as much as the Gentiles are—does this mean that Christ is serving the cause of sin? By no means! 18 If I start to rebuild the system of Law that I tore down, then I show myself to be someone who breaks the Law.

 

============

 

When I was tempted to do something “wrong” I knew in my heart I shouldn’t do it. I would give in and do it anyway. Later when something would go “wrong” I would look back at the point where I gave into the temptation and blame myself for giving in. This caused me to try to be as “perfect” as I could be.

 

  • I tried to be “perfect.”
  • I tried to assign problem resolution to the amount of sins that “I” thought I did.
  • I did not look at grace as something that covered my sins.

 

Paul tackles one of the biggest conflicts within each believer. “Does the Law save us or is it belief in JESUS?” The Gentiles were not following the Jewish Law. They did not Sabbath, nor sacrifice. They simply believed in JESUS.

 

My Observations

  • GOD’s Word is important to HIM so I choose to follow it.
  • My belief in JESUS saves me eternally and the HOLY SPIRIT guides me daily.
  • Sin no longer causes death for me, but when I sin, I am eternally forgiven.

 

Manipulating GOD cannot be done. I mean, when I think I can be really, really good enough to get more of HIS favor, I am actually trying to control GOD to get my way. On the other hand, when I disregard what JESUS said in HIS Word to humanity, I cold fall prey to tempting actions that drive people away from HIS kingdom rather than draw them near it.

 

Fortunately for all of us, JESUS took care of it all. HIS death, burial and resurrection took care of all my sins and I no longer have to think I need to be perfect. In fact, my messy life helps other people with similar messy lives. It makes it easier for others to understand that GOD loves messed up people like me. I am glad I am no longer bound to the Law, but I can choose to follow HIS word.

 

Challenge

  • What does the writer say about the Law in this passage?
  • Are you exhausted trying to follow the Law and not getting your way?
  • Will you praise JESUS for HIS incredible gift and not be so hard on yourself or others around you so they, and you , can accept HIS grace that is sufficient today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment