Thursday, November 17, 2022

Control Lessons

Control Lessons

1 Thessalonians 4: It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.

 

============

 

Stumbling onto a magazine filled with nudity, something inside me caught fire. “This is great!” I thought to myself. I told a friend what I saw and he got excited! His parents had a subscription channel, way back in the day, that sent a somewhat scrambled signal, but you could still make out the distorted images. It was “R” rated and we celebrated the brief moments of nudity.

 

  • I did not want to control myself.
  • Something inside me wanted to see the real thing.
  • When I saw the real thing, I wanted to see and do more and more.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy gave some difficult news to a group of people who may have been exposed to sex in ways that were not pleasing to the LORD. They do not condemn the people, rather urge the to “learn to control” themselves. This control would help in GOD’s calling.

 

My Observations

  • GOD’s calling on my life includes self-control.
  • The LORD is the one who sees what I do in secret.
  • GOD gave me the HOLY SPIRIT to live inside me and wants me to feed HIM with things that are pleasing to HIM.

 

Self-control is a learned skill. I mean, when I really, really like something that is not good for me, I need specific ways to reduce or avoid that thing. Whether it be food, drugs or sex, addictions can be difficult to stop. BUT GOD provides help.

 

HE does not want me to fail, rather HE provides ways to help me live a life that is pure and holy for HIM. HE guides me away from harmful things that cause insatiable desires and focuses my attention on HIM. I am glad GOD is the one who provides a way.

 

Challenge

  • What is the will of GOD the writers spoke of?
  • Have you ever gotten into a crowd that said “It is okay” to do what you are doing, yet something inside you says it is not?
  • Will you ask GOD for self-control so HE can guide you to live a life that is pleasing and purposeful from HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment