Monday, November 28, 2022

Suddenly

 

Suddenly

1 Thessalonians 5: There is no need to write you, friends, about the times and occasions when these things will happen. For you yourselves know very well that the Day of the Lord will come as a thief comes at night. When people say, “Everything is quiet and safe,” then suddenly destruction will hit them! It will come as suddenly as the pains that come upon a woman in labor, and people will not escape. 

 

============

 

Driving to do some Christmas shopping, my sister and I discussed what we were going to get. I was at the wheel of my first car, which was previously hers. We played Christmas music on the radio. Rounding a slight curve, I hit a patch of ice. I stepped on the brakes hard and slid into a light pole. Her head hit the windshield. Fortunately, we both walked away from the accident.

 

  • I had no idea this day would turn out the way it did.
  • One moment things were going great, the next not good at all.
  • Things had changed so quickly and I was not prepared.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy wrote about the “Day of the LORD.” They had previously taught about this devastating day and mentioned it in this letter. When the LORD returns, destruction will hit those who do not believe in HIM. There will be no time to prepare.

 

My Observations

  • GOD is giving me time to be prepared for CHRIST’s return.
  • I should be on the lookout for the LORD each day.
  • Quiet and safe are the times that I should be the most nervous.

 

Being relaxed and secure seems to be a pursuit of life. I mean, work is set up to pay bills to one day retire and live out the rest of life quietly. Sounds nice. BUT GOD has a different plan. HE wants us to know this place we live on is temporary and filled with pain.

 

HE wants us to know that one day, JESUS will return and destroy this place suddenly. HE wants HIS believers to be encouraged that destruction will not happen to them. I am glad GOD protects us from HIS wrath, and accept life’s purpose to pursue HIS people and bring them into a saving relationship with the LORD.

 

Challenge

  • What do the writers mean by “quiet and safe?”
  • Have you ever experienced a time when things were going well one moment, and the next something very difficult happened?
  • Will you become prepared for the LORD by establishing or strengthening your relationship with JESUS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment