Monday, November 21, 2022

Win the Respect

 

Win the Respect

1 Thessalonians 4: 11 Make it your aim to live a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to earn your own living, just as we told you before. 12 In this way you will win the respect of those who are not believers, and you will not have to depend on anyone for what you need.

 

============

 

“I should send an email to the entire company regarding my exit” I thought to myself. I was handed an award for outstanding team member as I was asked to leave the company. Something inside me said “Don’t send the email. Just be quiet.” I am glad I didn’t send the email.

 

  • I wanted to be noisy!
  • I wanted to expose certain people for what they were doing.
  • I wanted to keep the “respect” that I had earned, but was hurt, wounded and confused.

 

Paul, Silas and Timothy urge the people of Thessalonica to do three things. Live a quiet life, mind your business and  earn a living. This may sound like “shut up and get a job”, but it is not saying this, rather “expand your outreach to nonbelievers by quietly winning their respect.”

 

My Observations

  • Outreach should include my business or work interactions.
  • GOD desires that I reach out to those who do not believe in a quiet respectful way.
  • Self-reliance includes GOD’s provisions so I will not boast that I did it myself.”

 

Relying on GOD is hard, but necessary. I mean, sometimes I just want to say “help!” and that is okay to do so. But there are times when I need to be strong and show my faith in GOD’s provision for those who need to see that HE is the ultimate provider.

 

GOD seeks those who do not believe and wants to show HE can and will provide. HE does not need a braggard, rather someone who is confident in the LORD. I am glad GOD is the target  for all to seek.

 

Challenge

  • Why do you think the writers give this goal?
  • Have you ever wanted to be seen or heard, so you were tempted to get noisy?
  • Will you seek the respect of those who are not believers by relying on GOD’s provisions today?

No comments:

Post a Comment