Friday, February 3, 2023

Help Where Possible

Help Where Possible

1 Timothy 5: Show respect for widows who really are all alone. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, they should learn first to carry out their religious duties toward their own family and in this way repay their parents and grandparents, because that is what pleases God. A widow who is all alone, with no one to take care of her, has placed her hope in God and continues to pray and ask him for his help night and day. But a widow who gives herself to pleasure has already died, even though she lives. Give them these instructions, so that no one will find fault with them. But if any do not take care of their relatives, especially the members of their own family, they have denied the faith and are worse than an unbeliever.

 

============

 

My phone call list had grown longer and longer. Uncles and adopted fathers had passed away and all I could do was say hello every now and then. It felt overwhelming at times because life kept happening to me as well. But when I did call, it was a welcome conversation.

 

  • I could not do more than reach out.
  • When I finished the conversation, it did not seem like that much time had passed.
  • This passage is a reminder to reach out to some people.

 

Paul speaks about taking care of widows. He tells Timothy that the primary responsibility is for the children and grandchildren to take care of widows. But those who are alone, help where possible. Paul gives a sharp rebuke to those who are not actively praying for or encouraging their family.

 

My Observations

  • When GOD said “The harvest is plenty, but the laborers are few” I believe HE also includes service to widows.
  • Widows have a special place in GOD’s heart.
  • Reaching out to a widow may be all I can handle when life is happening to me.

 

It really does take a village. I mean, I can try to solve and resolve all of life’s issues faced by those who are alone, grieving and bereaved. But when I look at the ocean of need, I get overwhelmed. BUT GOD has a remedy. Take it in small steps.

 

GOD wants me to reach out to at least one person who is a widow to bring a smile to that person’s face. HE wants me to make room in my schedule to at least say “Hello.” If I can do more, then great, if not, then GOD understands. I am glad prayer, encouragement and honor can be given to those in need.

 

Challenge

  • Who has what responsibilities according to the writer?
  • Do you know a widow who could use a phone call from you today?
  • Will you reach out to a widow to check in and see how she is doing and pray for those who you cannot reach out to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment