Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Hope for the Rich

Hope for the Rich

1 Timothy 6: 17 Command those who are rich in the things of this life not to be proud, but to place their hope, not in such an uncertain thing as riches, but in God, who generously gives us everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share with others. 19 In this way they will store up for themselves a treasure which will be a solid foundation for the future. And then they will be able to win the life which is true life.

 

============

 

Wearing “worn” clothes gave me skills I didn’t know I had. Instead of accepting holes in my coat, I got a needle and thread to close up drafty seams. Later in life, I got jobs that paid more than I was spending. I went to only certain stores and wore specific brands. I got compliments I hadn’t gotten before.

 

  • I liked the reaction from admirers, so I saved up more money for myself to buy more.
  • I liked being in the spotlight of followers, so I hid my poor past.
  • I liked the way people reacted to “my” wealth and eventually despised patching holes.

 

Paul tells Timothy to give a command to the rich, “not to be proud” because they have plenty of “things of this life.” He pointed people to GOD who generously gives us everything for our enjoyment. He further tells Timothy to command them to “do good”, “rich in good works”, “to be generous and ready to share with others.”

 

My Observations

  • Whether I have plenty of the “things of this life” or not, GOD wants me to place my hope in HIM.
  • All things belong to GOD and HE has the right to give me what HE wants to.
  • Sharing with others, doing good works and being good seem to be pleasing to the LORD whether I am rich or poor.

 

“It is harder for the rich to enter heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle” are words that have scared me. I mean it seems like rich people don’t stand a chance! But who are the rich? To those who don’t have a home or food, everyone who does is rich. So what is the problem? It is where hope is placed.

 

Pride seems to be the one thing GOD despises the most. It blinds us to the fact that maybe “I” am the rich blind person who has plenty and am not sharing, being good or doing good works that are pleasing to the LORD. HE wants my heart because the things of this world mean nothing to HIM. HE has a “treasure which will be a solid foundation for the future” which is “true life.” I am glad GOD has given me plenty and recognize the need to serve others well.

 

Challenge

  • Who are the rich people the writer is speaking about?
  • Have you ever lost hope because you don’t have money and don’t know when or where it is going to come?
  • Will you rethink where you place your hope and move it from the “things of this life” and place it in JESUS who is our Savior and who stores up treasures in heaven for you today?

 

Prayer

Dear LORD, it is difficult to take our eyes off of wanting more of the things of this life because the enemy tempts us to want more and more. Help us see YOU as our hope. Take our fear away so we can rely on YOUR provision, knowing you give plenty and reward our “good deeds.” amen

No comments:

Post a Comment