Friday, February 24, 2023

Sticky Source

Sticky Source

2 Timothy 1: I give thanks to God, whom I serve with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did. I thank him as I remember you always in my prayers night and day. I remember your tears, and I want to see you very much, so that I may be filled with joy. I remember the sincere faith you have, the kind of faith that your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice also had. I am sure that you have it also. For this reason I remind you to keep alive the gift that God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control.

 

============

 

Alone in my apartment, I regretted the previous night’s activities. I was just beginning my return back to serving GOD and was trying to be “perfect” which in my mind meant sinless. But a night out with “friends” ended my perfection quickly.

 

  • I felt that GOD was tired of me.
  • I felt that living for GOD was too hard because “I” could not get “my” life together.
  • I looked at people in the church as being hypocrites since they seemed to have it all together and I was struggling to live for GOD as they were.

 

Paul gives a pep talk to Timothy. Perhaps Timothy was feeling down and wondered if his ministry was tainted. Maybe his faith waivered and he felt like giving up. Paul reminds Timothy of his faith and the faith of those in his family. Paul then reminds Timothy that life is not about his power, but the power of GOD.

 

My Observations

  • My view of GOD was not where it needed to be because I thought HIS love was based on my actions.
  • I thought I could control GOD by not sinning and felt more scared of GOD when I failed.
  • GOD saw all my sins and saved me anyway, that is why I love HIM.

 

Not my power, but YOURs LORD. This is something I have to say quite a bit. When I think everything has to come from my power, I am hugely mistaken. GOD did not leave something so important to HIM up to me. HE chose me and holds me firmly, even when I let go.

 

HE gave me the HOLY SPIRIT which opens my mouth to speak about HIM. HE fills me with HIS power, love and self-control “when” I sin, not “if.” HE constantly tells me “MY grace is sufficient” so I can have a clear conscience. I am glad GOD is the ultimate forgiver!

 

Challenge

  • How can the writer, who was a murderer, have a clear conscience?
  • Have you ever felt not worthy of serving GOD?
  • Will you look at GOD’s power, love and self-control and stop thinking those come from you versus HE has power, HE has love and HE has self-control for you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment